Highlighted

Lightroom Catalog Previews very heavy

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the Lightroom Catalog Previews folder more than twice as heavy as the original storage location?

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Catalog Previews very heavy

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is the Lightroom Catalog Previews folder more than twice as heavy as the original storage location?

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you syncing to the LR Cloud?

Screenshot 2020-04-11 16.42.00.png

Then there's the Preference settings you have .  .  .

The above choices are set in a manner just to illustrate an issue which might be relevant to this post.

And then there's the Smart Previews .  .  .

Could we have a little insight into perhaps your Prefs choices?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reaction and sorry for my late reply.

About;

Then there's the Preference settings you have .  .  .

The above choices are set in a manner just to illustrate an issue which might be relevant to this post.

These ar my preferences;

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-13 om 13.52.47.png

I also noticed that LR is making a backup, so I assume that LR makes my originals bigger and also makes copy's of them. The original pictures on my external cource are 32GB, Lightroom Catalog Previews is 72GB!. 

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-13 om 14.09.47.png

And then there's the Smart Previews .  .  .

But this is only helpful when you change images, or? 

Could we have a little insight into perhaps your Prefs choices?

I hope this gives you a more detailed insight?

Greetings,

Peter 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, in my largest catalog, the photos (raws, JPEGs, a few TIFFs and small videos) consume 280 GB, while the Previews.lrdata folder consumes 111 GB (less than half the size).

You might verify that you're adding up all the folder locations used for your photos and not missing some -- you can double-check in the Library module's Folders panel.

Another thing you could do: Exit LR, delete the <catalog>Previews.lrdata folder, restart LR, and let it run overnight to rebuild all the previews from scratch.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0