• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog slow-down

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a good PC specs. i7-8700 cpu with 16 Gig ram, 16bit windows 10 and solid state C drive(where the catalog files are). Still as the catalog gets bigger LR slows down. It is at the point flaging an image takes time or changing from one to another or moving to developer mode. Really taking toll on my patience. I cleared the cache tried monitoring the disk, network CPU. Of course the graphic card is used for exleration. IF not for my love of photoshop I would have switched to another software option...does someone have an idea?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't mentioned:

a. how many images are in your catalog

b. where the images are stored (e.g. internal/external hard drive or NAS)

c. whether the images have previews

I could add to above, but you should by now realise that to answer your question we need a lot more information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are probable 500-750 photos. The "active" photos are with the catalog in the solid state drive. Some of the photos I archived are on another drive in the same computer. No NAS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of a correction to my previous statment 🙂 I have 900 images (raw files) on my C:\ drive and 5000 on my "other" disk...having said that the onse I work with are located together with the catlog on the same solid state drive....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of just the catalog. The hard drive that the catalog is in, how much free space remains in %. ?

Needs to be at least 20% (some say 25%)

see: https://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-improve-lightrooms-speed-and-performance-without-a...

PLEASE USE THE BLUE BUTTON WHEN REPLYING TO POSTS.
Helps to show posts in date/time order, improves visibility (as not hidden in a reply to a reply), and is easier to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I have 30% or so free more than 200Gig free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been closly monitoring my PC performance. The main thing seems to be high CPU usage and over utlization of the core. Some processes that should consume lets say 75% of the CPU power take all resourse causing easy tasks to stager. Lets say I export 100 photos to JPEG. I should be able to work on other imags flaging going into devlope mode etc'. I also could care less if the export took 5 min or 6. Make no diffrance. However because LR grabs all resourses possible the whole PC stagers and so does simple tasks like browsing photos or simply flaging photos. Bad design it seems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have changed the weighting of resources allocated to export multiple times over the years in response to customer requests yet the issue of slow exports persists on some hardware configurations (e.g some 6 core systems are slower to export than 4 core).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have additional internal hard drives?

Yes Catalog should be on fastest drive, but could you place it not on C? For optimization.  (can be nice to not be  on the  drive the OS is using to write temp files, pageing info, etc)

Camera RAW CACHE, should also be on fastest drive, but preferably not on same drive as OS paging file, For optimization.

Lightroom does not benefit on photo storage location, that does not enter in on performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was the last time your OS got updated? Could some settings have reverted to (slow) defaults?

See tip 8 in the following, then read the rest of: https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

When was the last time you updated your GPU driver, could some settings reverted to (average use) defaults?

If, NVIDIA see: https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked my GPU it was set to optimal instead of maximum. I do not think this will help much. I am going to increase RAM to 32Gig I think my PC is using a sysfile to swap information...still not sure what the issue is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines