• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Tree Disapperas

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have recently upgraded my computer, moved my pictures to a larger HDD, reinstalled the Lightroom and tried to migrate my old .lrcat into my new set-up. My old catalog is properly recognized (following an automatic upgrade) by Lightroom CC and the tree structure with all my 20,000 + photos appeared intact.

LR-CatalogProblem_01.jpg

Because I had moved my photos to a new hard drive, there were question marks (?) besides every folder in the tree. When I right clicked on any folder, a "Find missing folder..." prompt was available. It was all OK upto this point.

Nevertheless, Lightroom does not allow me to select more than one folder simultaneously, and if I choose to find one missing folder, the whole folder tree but the very folder Lightroom recently found, disappears.

LR-CatalogProblem_02.jpg

I have checked a lot of entries in the forum, but couldn't find a similar or helping case.

I will appreciate any help.

All the best

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

In the Folders Panel, navigate to the parent folder, then update that folder location.

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2019/02/showing-and-hiding-folders-in-lightroom-classic.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instructions are here, see in particular Figure 4:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

The tree hasn't disappered, it remains exactly where it was on the original hard disk; and a new folder (the one you did "Find Missing Folder" on) is created on the new drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the prompt respnse dj_paige. I had read that article before posting here. I did not lose my photos, I know where they are (Thank god!). (Nevertheless, I rechecked before replying)

My problem is: Lightroom does not show me other disconnected folders anymore. Therefore, I cannot link them (Lightroom folder tree elements) with appropriate folders on my HDD!

Hope this better clarifies my problem.

Thanks again.

Oh, one more thing: "Update folder location" option is not available in the menu when I right click any un-linked entry in Lightroom catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The othe disconnected folder are in the same place on the same drive they were originally stored in, and you can find them in your Lightroom Classic Folder panel. Unfortunately, I cannot read the text in your screen captures to be more specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my late response, but it was late at this side of the world 🙂 Thanks for following up the problem. In the picture below you see a folder tree in light room, all folders containing a question mark. I right clicked on the highlighted one and select the "Find missing folder..." option in the dropdown menu.

LR-CatalogProblem_01b.jpg

It finds the folder fine. But all other folders that I see in the previous image got lost in the folder tree. See the below picture.

LR-CatalogProblem_02b.jpg

(I have no problem with my photo files. I repeat, I know where they are...)

Hope the close ups will help. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Folders Panel, navigate to the parent folder, then update that folder location.

https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2019/02/showing-and-hiding-folders-in-lightroom-classic.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot davidg and (of course) dj_paige, for your interest in my (somewhat) stupid problem and your generous support...

Finally I am inspired by Mrs. Kost's advise. A summary of my actions below for future generations 🙂

Problem:

LR folder tree disaapears when a single "missing folder is found" amaong many. (See prevoius posts)

Root Cause:

The Volume that the photos reside has been changed.

Solution:

1. Right click on an un-linked folder (i.e. one with a "?")
  2. Select "Show Parent Folder" from drop-down menu.
  3. Right click on Parent Folder.
  4. Select "Find missing folder..." from drop-down menu.
  5. Indicate the the new Volume (i.e. the new hard disk that contain your photos). (It works even if the original tree structure is slightly altered)

The problem solved! (at least for me)

All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines