• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Catalog Upgrade fault

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I had upgraded to LR Classic CC many months ago.  I go to open LR and I get a message stating " We need to upgrade your catalog for use with Lightroom Classic CC.

So the application will not allow me access to the catalog until you do the upgrade so i did the upgrade.

LR re-opened only that it had an older version from 02.12.2017.  I'm also missing all of 2018 images and folders,  I've been doing backup every week without fail.

I can see in the catalog location that a file with the recent date prior to the upgraded one still exist, however, LR it wants to upgrade this too.

I told LR to import this catalog into the newer catalog.

Can anyone tell me what is happening and why now and how to resolves this issue.

Thanks Jon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Got it resolved,

It appeared that when LR did an automated upgrade it stuff up the process.

I had to run a previous version v7.3.1 to be exact

open my catalog and all was good.  Then I did a manual install from CC.

The upgrade this time had my 2018 folder minus the last shoot, which I was able to scan the disk and update folder location and do a sync to get it all back to the way it was.

Adobe needs to ask permission to do an upgrade vs making it a forced process.

Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have opened/upgraded the wrong catalog file.

In LIghtroom, go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog shown there until you find the one with the 2018 images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I" didn't open any catalog, the program did the upgrade and it opened a catalog.  The problem is it has opened the an older catalog and that is missing the entire year, when I did this manually it still is missing the entire 2018 year of folders, so what the hell is going on? Do I have to point LR to the folder and have it re-import all of 2018?

This upgrade has to be the worst I've seen.  I do my backup weekly and where and how its deciding to use an older or just dump 2018 altogether is just not on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find the "upgraded" catalogue using Explorer/Finer (Win/Mac) and double-click on it and it will open in Lightroom. It sounds like you're trying to open the older catalogue as Lightroom won't prompt you for an upgrade until a new full version comes out.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I double click on the file (Lightroom Catalog.lrcat) and it opens a dialog box stating upgraded version of Catalog found.

Then it ask if I would like to use the newer, upgraded catalog instead.

choices are:

Selected (Old)

Updated catalog (New)

you can only select Yes, use the newer which is missing the 2018 folder or the No, upgrade the older Catalog and this just repeats the process it has been through twice already, so there is no way to open the older catalog.

What I'm going to do is go back to before the upgrade and open the old one if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer, search your hard drive(s) for the *.LrCat files you have.

If your catalog is named "Lightroom Catalog.LrCat", any upgraded catalog will contain a "-2" at the end of the filename unless you have renamed the new file since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have -2, -3, -4 after repeated attempts to open the original catalog.

When trying to open the original catalog LR wants to upgrade it, rather it be the new or old catalog its not going to let me open an old catalog or the original without going through a upgrade and the results are the same a missing 2018 folder with all the shoots from this year missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2018 Jul 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it resolved,

It appeared that when LR did an automated upgrade it stuff up the process.

I had to run a previous version v7.3.1 to be exact

open my catalog and all was good.  Then I did a manual install from CC.

The upgrade this time had my 2018 folder minus the last shoot, which I was able to scan the disk and update folder location and do a sync to get it all back to the way it was.

Adobe needs to ask permission to do an upgrade vs making it a forced process.

Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact thing I can see my file my lrcat backup is there and contains something I just went back to a previous version but I'm still having trouble 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After my catalogue was updated, the whole year of 2019 is missing. Super frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exit LR, then do the catalog migration again by opening the old catalog. See if the migration runs correctly this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This whole thread is exactly what just happened to me. How do I get my 2020 files back. I only have 2019. 

-Rebekah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In many cases the answer is exactly as stated by dj_paige in an earlier post-

"You have opened/upgraded the wrong catalog file.

In Lightroom, go to File->Open Recent and select each catalog shown there until you find the one with the 2018 images."

Or- before starting Lightroom- Hold down the [Ctrl] key as you start Lr (from the start menu), do not release [Ctrl] until you see a window that will list all the Catalog files that Lightroom can access. Open each until you find the Catalog that has all the files you are not seeing.

A few people start Lr by clicking on a Shortcut icon for a Catalog- this will always open the same Catalog, but then File>Open Recent will show other catalogs.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines