• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC 2015 - is there a way to organize/file my photos from a remote location?

Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

I'm using Lightroom CC 2015. All of my photos are stored on an external drive attached to my desktop at home. Is there any way that I can organize/file those photos if I'm at a remote location? I know that the newest iteration of Lightroom has a cloud based option, but I'm still using folders to organize my photos at home.

Is that possible?

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have new photos taken at a remote location synched to home by the mobile sync functions in Lr Classic, but only to one designated folder (and sub-folders) in the Home H-Drive.

Organizing all folders remotely is not possible in Lightroom. Operating system 'remote access' methods might allow you to organize folders, etc, but this would create havoc and destruction with the 'Home' catalog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you really looking to do. Please explain exactly what you are doing and why you think you need access to your home system.

As mentioned above you could login to your home system through an internet connection but to do that you have to set it up first at your home to allow access through your home router/gateway.

If you haven't done that then no you can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you taking your machine with you and leaving your externals home? If so then yes you can do a lot of stuff with the images offline. You can keyword, rate, caption, create collections etc. You can even do Develop if you create smart previews for some of the images. Those will then be editable offline.

Second. Lightroom 2015 CC was updated. It is now called Classic CC but it is the same Lightroom that you know just with some new features. Update from the creative cloud app.

There are some other workflow options if you want to work from other machines and leave this one home but it sounded like you want to take your laptop with you and still have access to your images and stick with the normal Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone

Basically, I'd love to be able to manipulate/edit/file (in folders) my photos without being at my main computer. Of course, one option would be to simply export some specific folders that I want to work on and then just transfer them onto my laptop to work on remotely. I'm just trying to see if there is any cloud based solution.

I've heard about the new cloud based Lightroom option, but my understanding is that it doesn't preserve the folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well that's actually easy. You can use Lightroom CC (the cloud thing) on your laptop and sync a few collections you want to work on from Lightroom Classic (the real Lightroom) on your main machine. They will show up in Lightroom CC on your laptop. They will be smart previews so not full resolution but you can edit them quite well this way and all changes sync back to the Lightroom on your main machine. Lightroom Classic can still interact with the cloud thing as it has been able to do for a long time now.

I would caution against going all Lightroom CC as it currently has very few of the features you expect from Lightroom. The Develop options are very good but you can't do much else. You can't print, there is no folder structure indeed. And there are much more issues. It is nice as an option for editing on a laptop or an iPad on the side but don't expect it to be able to do much more. It is really very limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful, thanks!

If I use Lightroom CC and make changes, do those changes get reflected in the originals on my desktop?

Can I sync Folders in addition to Collections?

Also, am I able to file and move photos around, or can I only edit them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use Lightroom CC and make changes, do those changes get reflected in the originals on my desktop?

Yes

Can I sync Folders in addition to Collections?

No. Only Collections. There are no folders in the Adobe cloud world, just collections which are called albums in the CC world.

Also, am I able to file and move photos around, or can I only edit them?

The answer to this is mostly not. You can move images into other albums and they will show up as such in Lightroom Classic. But as there is no folder structure in the cloud you can't do any filing as you are used to. Another issue is that while you can caption and title, and those will sync. Keywords do not sync between Classic and CC. This is because CC does not support hierarchical keywords. It can only do flat keywords. This is a major limitation of Lightroom CC in my opinion and one that will likely not soon be fixed. However if you simply want to be able to edit and make sure collections/albums this works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh and you can even import raw files in CC on your laptop and they will get synced over the internet to lightroom Classic on your desktop machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines