Highlighted

Lightroom CC Filmstrip Color Not Matching Color of Image in Loupe or Grid

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Lightroom Classic 9.3 running on a Windows 10 machine with NVIDIA Quadro M4000 graphics card, 64 GB RAM, tons of memory and i7 Intel chip with 8 cores; plenty of power.

However, the filmstrip color of an image chnages (decidely RED shift) once I select the image in the filmstrip and the image displays in Loupe.  The Loupe presentation is ALWAYS spot on but the filmstrip versions shifts RED for some reason.  If in the course of several back and forth selections, several of the filmstrip renderings will be RED but then after a few minutes, everything returns to normal.  The Loupe and even Grid versions are always correct; the error only shows in the filmstrip.  I have attached an iPhone image that clearly shows the disparity of the filmstrip and Loupe version colors; the filmstrip is very RED and the Loupe is NOT.  The correct color transfers to PS and the images print perfectly but the filmstrip rendering is in error at least for a while.

I first noticed this a few months ago (before 9.3) and just thought my eyes were tired.  Lately, it is apparent something else is gong on.  All of these images were built with "Standard" previews but after years of using LRC, this error started up a few months ago.  I have been using a Nikon D850 since it was introduced and before that a Nikon D810

I have the latest display adapther driver installed and Windows Update is current with version 1909 of Windows 10.

I read one community answer that suggested changing the lrdata file and rebuilding the previews but with 35,000 images, I hate to do that without assurance that will fix the issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mel

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom CC Filmstrip Color Not Matching Color of Image in Loupe or Grid

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have Lightroom Classic 9.3 running on a Windows 10 machine with NVIDIA Quadro M4000 graphics card, 64 GB RAM, tons of memory and i7 Intel chip with 8 cores; plenty of power.

However, the filmstrip color of an image chnages (decidely RED shift) once I select the image in the filmstrip and the image displays in Loupe.  The Loupe presentation is ALWAYS spot on but the filmstrip versions shifts RED for some reason.  If in the course of several back and forth selections, several of the filmstrip renderings will be RED but then after a few minutes, everything returns to normal.  The Loupe and even Grid versions are always correct; the error only shows in the filmstrip.  I have attached an iPhone image that clearly shows the disparity of the filmstrip and Loupe version colors; the filmstrip is very RED and the Loupe is NOT.  The correct color transfers to PS and the images print perfectly but the filmstrip rendering is in error at least for a while.

I first noticed this a few months ago (before 9.3) and just thought my eyes were tired.  Lately, it is apparent something else is gong on.  All of these images were built with "Standard" previews but after years of using LRC, this error started up a few months ago.  I have been using a Nikon D850 since it was introduced and before that a Nikon D810

I have the latest display adapther driver installed and Windows Update is current with version 1909 of Windows 10.

I read one community answer that suggested changing the lrdata file and rebuilding the previews but with 35,000 images, I hate to do that without assurance that will fix the issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mel

Topics

Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say "Loupe", your screenshot indicates you are referring to Loupe view in Develop, not Loupe View in Library (they are different).  Troubleshooting steps:

1. Disable the graphics processor by setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off. On Windows, it is used for display of thumbnails as well as Loupe view.  LR uses GPUs much differently than video editors or games and is constantly tripping over bugs in drivers.

2. Try temporarily changing the color profile assigned to the display: 

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-... 

LR has different code paths for displaying thumbnails and Loupe in Library than in Develop, and sometimes an incompatible or corrupted display profile can cause differences in appearance.  

3. If that doesn't help, then you should definitely try rebuilding previews.  Exit LR, delete the catalog's .lrdata folder, restart LR, select all photos, and do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews. Let it run overnight while you're sleeping. There's no assurance this will fix the issue, but it's a very plausible fix, and by letting it run overnight, it won't impact your work.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice and Yes, I was referring to the Loupe View in the Develop module. 

I turned off the GPU in the Preferences and the problem seems to be solved.  Now I am wondering

WHY I paid for a VERY expensive workstation GPU if I have to turn it off to use LR??  Something recent has changed as I have had the computer for several years without this issue emerging.

I might mention that when I loaeded the latest display adapter driver for the NVIDIA Quadro M4000 in June, I experienced some issues with my desktop display.  Specifically, the task bar switched to the secondary screen all on its own  Reverting to the previous April version of the driver solved the problem but obviously there is some very recent issue with the driver.  I should note that the LR issue of changing color of the filmstrip in Loupe View of Develop predates the driver issue.  But the coincidence is hard to ignore.

Thanks again and cheers,

Mel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is as likely to be a bug in the graphics driver as in LR -- as mentioned above, LR pushes the limits on GPUs in ways that are much different than most other apps.  It sounds like you've already done this, but if not, update the graphics driver directly from the Nvidia web site, not via Windows update.

Unless you have a 4K or larger display, the GPU may not make much different in performance -- many (most?) people don't notice the difference, so do some comparisons to see if makes a difference for you.

If you haven't already, try step 2 (changing the color profile to sRGB) with the GPU enabled. There have been reports that the GPU code path is sometimes incompatible with display profiles that otherwise work fine with LR.

Finally, I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links. Include screenshots of the difference in display between the filmstrip and Develop.  (Safari users, uncheck the option Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Prevent Cross-Site Tracking or use Chrome or Firefox.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people don't have to download the image you have attached to your post please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.
2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines