Highlighted

Lightroom CC keeps crashing on startup

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've signed up for Lightroom CC but it keeps crashing on startup. I can open the program but as soon as I click anywhere it freezes. I've run previous versions of Lightroom and Photoshop with no problems.

I'm running on a Lenovo Ideapad 710s with an Intel Graphics 620. I've heard this could be a problem with the GPU and so far have tried...

1. Attempting to disable the GPU though >Preferences but I cannot get this far before it crashes.

2. Tried to disable the GPU through C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences. However the Preferences folder is completely empty (I've turned off hidden folders already).

3. Gone into devices, disabled the graphics card and tried running Lightroom. Again it crashes.

I'm not particularly tech savvy so I'm not sure what else to do. Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom CC keeps crashing on startup

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I've signed up for Lightroom CC but it keeps crashing on startup. I can open the program but as soon as I click anywhere it freezes. I've run previous versions of Lightroom and Photoshop with no problems.

I'm running on a Lenovo Ideapad 710s with an Intel Graphics 620. I've heard this could be a problem with the GPU and so far have tried...

1. Attempting to disable the GPU though >Preferences but I cannot get this far before it crashes.

2. Tried to disable the GPU through C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences. However the Preferences folder is completely empty (I've turned off hidden folders already).

3. Gone into devices, disabled the graphics card and tried running Lightroom. Again it crashes.

I'm not particularly tech savvy so I'm not sure what else to do. Any help much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 11, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error message before the crash?

You are Windows 10 I suppose?

I would suggest to uninstall the software and use the cc cleaner to clean-up and reinstall!

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2017 1
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally try disabling the Anti-virus....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the replies chaps.

No error message from Lightroom. It just freezes before I get a windows message telling me it's not responding.

I've tried the uninstall / reinstall. By CC cleaner do you mean Crap Cleaner? I've tried that too. I've also run a virus / malware scan. I'll try disabling anti-virus and let you know how I get on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marky_john  schrieb

By CC cleaner do you mean Crap Cleaner? I've tried that too.

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool ... linked in this article: Use the CC Cleaner Tool for installation issues

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2017 1
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem on several of the Lightroom CC versions. I run this on a PC with Windows 10 and found the solution (that worked on my installation at least) by accident.

On start-up, Lightroom gets so far then stops, usually with a random small white window opened somewhere within the main window. At that point I just press the 'Windows' key on the keyboard twice. The Start menu appears and then disappears and after that, Lightroom proceeds to load as it should.

The same thing happens when the Import utility is used, but the same solution works for that too.

Hope that works for some of the other frustrated contributors to this question!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 18, 2017 0
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have something installed that is causing this. Either a legitimate tool, add-on, etc or it is a malware. I don't think of your scenario as a regular one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now solved thanks to this thread...

Lightroom 6 Preference file missing GPU setting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add my fix I just did as I hadn't seen it anywhere.

LRC 9.4 on Windows 10 was crashing on me within the first 30 seconds every startup. 
After a few unsuccessful methods (restarts, uninstalls, deleting lock files) I decided to try the graphics card as some had mentioned it could get wierded out by the graphics card.

I opened Device Manager and disabled my graphics card (Gefore 1650Ti) and did a PC restart. I proceeded to test with the integrated graphics with success. Tested it for a solid 5 minutes doing anything I asked of it with no problems. I proceeded to enable the Geforce 1650Ti and reopened LRC. Tested again for a solid 5 minutes and proceeded to have no problems.

So it looks like LRC can get confused on how to communicate with the graphics card? Whatever the reason may be, Disabling and Renabling the Graphics card worked for me. Good Luck!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0