• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom CC with Lightroom Classic Flow

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used lightroom 'classic' for years, but always found it difficult to find an online backup other than dropbox. I ended up keeping 40k+ photos on 2 separate external drives, with one as a backup. Enter Lightroom cc and their online storage, which I've signed up for. My issues, then my question:

• LR CC is great at automatically grabbing photos from my wife and my phones, and even syncing to LR classic. 
  • I now have LR cc, and I can sync to LT classic, if I choose.
    • As I started to do this, it was taking days to sync from cloud to my new external drive through classic.
    • I was told that I can't really sync entire files from LR classic to cc, whch I want to do because I can import those files much quicker with my drives and laptop. Somthng about it only sends a preview.
    • I stopped that sync for now (cloud to classic).
  • LR cc has no duplicate technology to recognize a dupe, so if I try to add all my pictures to cc, it will pull in dupes.
  • I'm thinking of:
    • deleting all files (40-50k) on cc
    • Importing all files into classic 
    • Importing all files into cc separately
    • Turn on sync
    • iphone photos will come in via cc and go to classic
    • camera photos will need to be imported into CC (assuming it recognizes cameras)

I simply want a great photo storage editing software(LR), where I can have secure online storage so my picutres are protected and can be accessed by my family(ie LR cc). I've read so many articles, but I haven't found any that describe what I think should be simple. My apologies if I made this more confusing than it is. I'm a photo rookie and have been for yrs.

Call me crazy. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Lightroom CC does have technology to recognize a duplicate, and it can even do more than that. Lightroom Classic syncs smart previews to the cloud, not originals. If you have a synced smart preview in the cloud, and then you import the original into Lightroom CC, then Lightroom CC will recognize the duplicate and replace the smart preview with the original.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joan - Thank you. I must be doing something wrong. I just uploaded a duplicate intentionally and it let me, so now there are dupes. I tested it because I want to import a large folder to cc, which I know has duplicates, but concerned it will just create a dupe. This is outside of smart previews. I understand what you are saying, but it seems it's related to knowing a dupe was actually smart preview. Am I completely missing the duplicate detection somewhere.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the autocorrect to Joan. Thank you Johan.

Kirk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than allowing Lr cloudy to import duplicates, which when synced to Classic will, as Johan describes, create virtual copies, I would spend some time doing some house keeping. That is, spend time outside of Lightroom finding the duplicate images, then move them to a folder that won't be imported. This will make life a LOT simpler when you eventually do import the images and sync them to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks- I did that already and now have relatively duplicate free external drive of photos. My issue is I'm out of sync w/cc and I want to import that external drive of photos(about 47k) into cc, which has about 38k photos. When I did that in classic, it didn't show dupes. I'm concerned cc will just dupe them.

Do any of you do 1:1 consulting? I would enjoy talking to someone to knock this out for an hour or so and would be happy to compensate. I hope I'm not breaking any posting rules by asking. 

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to import the original image, not a copy. Use 'Photo - Show in Finder (Explorer)' in Lightroom Classic to locate the original and drag & drop it onto the Lightroom CC icon. That will work. I checked it again yesterday before I wrote it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - Can I just use the + icon in cc and go to the location of my files and import? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, just import the original from its original location. Do not export a copy (also not a copy using 'export as original') from Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines