• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1.1 - photos in Library and Strip are grey blanks in Develop on Windows 10

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 latest.

Lightroom Classic latest.

After many calamities with disc failures, improper movement of Elements then Lightroom files, and losing the last catalogue because I had not backed it up onto another drive, and other things, (all of which I think have taught me lessons that I wish I had known about when I first started), I have now brought all of my photo files, inclusing dupllicates that I will sort later, from many different sources to one folder location.

I was sorting these photos when I noticed that many were not visible in develop.  They have thumbnails and can be seen on the strip below.  All file types and sizes are affected. 

Clearly, I have done something.  What?  And how do I correct it?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the Lightroom Classic develop module so that we can understand the issue a little better?

Do the images have an exclamation mark on the top right in the Library module? Do you get a message when you open the images in the develop module saying the images are missing?

If not, you can try disabling the option to Use Graphics Processor from Lightroom Classic by going to Preferences, then Performance. Once done, quit & relaunch Lightroom Classic to check if that helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021-01-22.png

Nikunj

This is nothing to do with missing files or metadata conflicts.  Some of the photos have that, most do not.  I do not get a message.

I disaabledd the GPU ages ago.  It makes no difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - final observation.  Having moved the error files to another location, I found I could open them and see them in Windows media programs.  I then created another folder and copied one error photo and one good photo into it.  I imported both into Lr and they are both visible in develop.  I have done this twice and it works. Wierd.  But it looks like I have a solution, even if I do not understand what was wrong in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perhaps not final - as I can now see all of the photos but they have lost their metadata.  Not too important for these photos though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the above, I can see that many of the photos are those that I would have deleted before.  (A massive clean up a month before my drive collapsed.)  For recovery, I had to use an earlier catalogue predating the deletes.  I would have thought pointing the missing photos to the new folder would simply pick up the photo and not lead to this problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be caused by a defective monitor profile.

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB (use Adobe RGB if you have wide gamut monitor).

With Lightroom closed, press the Windows key + R, type colorcpl in the box and press Enter.

Add the sRGB profile and set it as default.

If this fixes the issue, it is recommended that you calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator.

This will also create and install a custom monitor profile that describes your monitor accurately.

color-management.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I do that, would that not be a problem for all of the photos?  It is only about 20% of my photos that exhibit the problem.  Some of those problematic photos have a duplicate elsewhere that is showing perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Advanced, the colour management is already showing as sRGB IEC 61966-2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Advanced tab is irrelevant, setting the monitor profile is done in the Devices tab.

I see that the image selected in your screenshot is missing. If all images that don't display are missing, it's probably because they are missing.

If random images are not displaying, you might have corrupted develop previews.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Performance > Camera Raw Cache Settings, and click the Purge Cache button.

This will delete the develop previews, and force them to be regenerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set the colour profile as you said for the monitor. 

I have put the "grey develop" photos into a different catalog (export to new catalogue).  I have purged the cache in both catalogues.  The greyed develop photos are still greyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines