Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1 freezes and crashes my computer

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Since version 10 I have had to disable the use of the GPU in LR classic. It has been unusable, I was getting the spinning wheel all the time when editing, moving sliders, using the clone tool, etc. when the GPU was enabled. Lightroom was too slow to react and so I disabled it and kept working, hoping the next version will fix it...

Today, version 10.1 came out - I updated and re-enabled the GPU hoping that issue was fixed. But, it's actually much much worse now, when trying to move/drag sliders around it will cause my computer to freeze to a point I have to turn it off and on again, I can't even force quit the app or anything like that.

I realize I have an older GPU, but I had zero issues with versions 9 and earlier.

Any advice, ideas, anyone else seeing this too?

It's my work so very important to have it back up sooner than later, I hope.

Thanks!

I am on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 

GPU is Gigabyte R9 280X

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 147 Replies 147
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a worthwhile suggestion to roll back to Lr10.0 to see if that works. Camera Raw has no relevance directly to Lightroom as it is for Photoshop only ...... Camera Raw version inside Lightroom cannot be changed except by changing Lightroom not Camera Raw...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the suggestions!
I'll try with photoshop as well because I saw the same freezing problem with camera raw 🤞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is ADOBE all the sistem have some problems, i have Catalina and still dosen't work good.

Adobe need the solution asp, we are to many photographer in problems........

LR 10, PS, all the system have problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're right. The case with Lightroom is o.k. with 10.0. But I didn't
mention it clearly that the same problem is in ACR in Photoshop too and
this can be worked around with going back to ACR 12.4. And only partially!
Because it works but doesn't work as it has to. It's kind of sluggish.
Cannot work "peacefully".
Regards
umit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy! I can't get a workflow going. Stop and start. I am also getting the broken up pixelation in the develop mode. Is there a fix coming soon or another solution? I am backing up my computer now in case I want to go back to a different OS. I am open to suggestions. Thank you, Lori Cleland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

downgrade to LRC 10.0.0. This seems to work for all - and you want loose be anything in the LRC catalog

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in here to say I'm having the same issues. Was hoping this latest upgrade would fix it, but it's worse. Very frustrating - it's to the point where it's basically unusable. I was trying to edit some photos for the past 30 minutes and it crashed and logged me out of my computer twice. Kills my computer battery very quickly too. Using almost any slider gives me the spinning wheel for several seconds. If I use the adjustment brush and reopen the dialogue box later, the adjustment brush "dot" doesn't show up and I can't edit it again. Zooming in and out is laggy and sometimes results in glitchy pixelation. I tried to downgrade to version 9, but it says the catalogue is from a newer version and not compatible. 

Specs:

MacBook Pro Retina, mid-2015

Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, just go back to 10.0

Pardon any misspellings.
Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Yes, you simply cannot work, like we all.
Please go back to 10.0 (it's o.k. for the new catalogs too).
And for Photoshop, use the Adobe Camera Raw 12.4 and not 13 (so go back
too).
Best
umit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  Constant spinning wheels, crashes, freezes, failure to see/import files, etc etc. INSANE. 

I have:

MP 5,1 6 core 3.33ghz processor.

Radeon RX 580 GPU

Sonnet m.2 4x4 PCIE with 4x Sabrent 2TB TLC SSD drives (6k r/w speeds on the RAID),

48GB or RAM (triple thread 16GB)

Lightroom 10 has been an absolute DISASTER for my business. Adobe absolutely $#%(*U& us on this update, and there is no meaningful way to go back to LRC 9 without losing all LRC 10 edits and a massive amount of work, and converting my 500k+ photo library back to LRC 9 would take a week off my schedule, and I'm busier than ever. This has totally WRECKED my response time to clients and ruined my home life. I am beyond FURIOUS with Adobe's programmers for this, and what's worse is they gave no notice to anyone of thier massive screwup. I just assumed my computer was getting slow and old so I spent thousands on new upgrades before finally finding out that the problem is in the software - and the upgrades didn't do a single thing to help with these issues. 

Apparently all I can do is spend a couple hundred hours going back to LRC 9 and re-editing everything or live in this eternal hell of constant crashes, spinning wheels and waiting until they can be bothered to fix the problems they've created. And they still haven't ever sent us any notices, updates, or timeline for resolution.

The number of expletives I've uttered in their name would qualify me for a Tourrette's diagnosis at this point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add that I have the following laptop and it too is slower (constant spinning wheels), and I have diabled custom monitor profiles on both this and my MP 5,1.

MBP 2013 Retina 15"

Big Sur 11.2

2.6 Ghz i7

16BG RAM

Intel Iris Pro GPU

1 TB Apple SSD

I rue the day I clicked 'update' to LRC 10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the exact same issue and I don't know what else I can do. I uninstalled the whole creative cloud and installed it again. Every time I try to edit a picture It crashes and I have to restart the computer and can't work... Photoshop it's also doing something similar. I need to work and I can't.... solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, the best you can do is probably roll back to either LR10 or if that still creates a problem for you, go back to LR9.

I read somewhere on the Adobe feedback page before (I couldn't find the page now) that Adobe was saying people who use customised display profile, i.e. if you use a monitor calibrator, then LR10.1 will clash with that.  They say some users have experienced no issue after they restore the display profile to the default setting.  I tried that, didn't work on my iMac, but you might want to give it a try and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely!

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Adobe version 10.2 should resolve the problems introduced with 10.1

Has anyone tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about to do so. Victoria Bampton (The Lightroom Queen) says they have tested it and all seems to be well. We'll see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to work like a champ..... i.e.  what you would expect and need it to do.   See my comments written last night.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-crashes-gpu/5fe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed that LRC 10.2 no longer shows the problems with the GPU hanging the system on my Mac Pro desktop running Big Sur 11.2.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried 10.2, and, even after re-enabling GPU support, it seems to be much better. (I mean, it still crashed, but only once, and in the usual place for me, when clicking on the Maps module, not in all the other places that the last versions were crashing and causing kernel panics.)

So, in summary, definitely worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Just tried 10.2 shortly. (Big Sur 11.2.3) It seems o.k.. I've tried some sliders which caused immediately freezes before, no problem.

At the end! 🙂

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also using macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and need to revert to LRC 10.0 otherwise the system is unstable and freezes. I'm seeing the update listed is still 10.1. Is 10.2 ready??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.2 didn't show in the Adobe Cloud app, but is started LRc and clicked on Help, Update and it showed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey thanks! Will check it shortly and hope for the best 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines