Lightroom Classic 6 Stand alone, problems opening previous Catalogue & Back ups after reinstallation

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had a new hard drive installed on my computer, using Windows 10. I have successfully reinstalled the program but when I try to access my saved Catalogue & Backups the computer is trying to open the .lrdata file with Windows Explorer & it simply doesn't work.

I have tried opening a new catalogue, within Lightroom 6, imported a few pics & then closed Lightroom with a backup, same thing happened, the Backup .lrdata file will not open.

Any solutions please, I'm tearing my hair out. 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Download and install, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file that Lightroom-v6 'opens' is a Catalog file that has the file-type of .LRCAT

It is the Your Catalog Name.LRCAT file that you can [Double-click] to 'Open' with Lightroom.

(.LRDATA is a Preview cache only! Not a file that can be 'opened')

If you see the 'wrong' catalog in Lightroom-v6, either use the Lr File Menu to open another 'Recent' catalog, or use File Explorer to find all .LRCAT files and 'open' each until you find the Catalog you want to use.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.3, Photoshop 22.4.2, Lightroom 4.3, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info but it still doesn't solve my problem. I've double clicked on all my old.LRCAT files & the computer continues to try to "open" the file with Internet Explorer rather than with the Lightroom App, I don't see the "L" icon at all when I get to the final step, as happened previously. Ive reinstalled Lightroom 6 & did a "Test Catalog", backed it up when exiting Lightroom & then tried opening that "Backup", same thing happened.

A friend who knows Lightroom well, he teaches it, saved that Backup to a USB then saved it to his computer, it opened without a problem, using the Lightroom App (& icon). He runs the latest subscription Lightroom tho. He's not an "IT" person tho so couldn't solve the problem as to "Why".

Could it be that Adobe has changed the setup/installation ? I am runnung the latest Windows 10. I contacted Adobe via the chat line, all I got was some Help links, which were not helpful & the reply "Lightroom 6 is now an unsupported product". For the amount I use it I cannot justify the subscription. I must say I'm a bit disapointed with Adobe, what happened to loyalty ?

Lightroom itself opens & runs, it opens my most recent Catalog but I can't access my backups, both old & recent. My fear is if something goes wrong I've lost all my processing work. Fortunately I had backed up all my photos so I haven't lost them, just my previous processing work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone, I'm not quite sure how I did it, followed many links from the first reply & eventually solved it & have retrieved my last catalogue from my old hard drive.....Yahoo !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the LRCAT file association in Windows Settings

or

Change this setting in LrC preferences to allow picking the Catalog on Startup

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 8.55.49 PM.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. When I try to open Lightroom Classic, my screen turn white, and the mouse show me the waiting sign. 

I have resently add a internal hardisk, as I thourght that the problem was, that my external hardisk was too old, and could not work together with my new PC. That was apparently not the case.

I have tried to open Photoshop, and there is no problem. Pls help, as I have done everything what I possible can.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Lillian DK 

This is not the same problem, and you will get a faster and better answer if you start a new thread, provide all relevant details, including the following. I will not address your problems in this thread. I will be happy to discuss this in its own thread.

Adobe Forum.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines