Highlighted

Lightroom classic 8.2.1 - Photos have read-only access

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos have read-only access

I upgraded from Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 to CC subscription Lightroom Classic 8.2.1.

My images are stored on internal hard drive.

With Lightroom 5.7 I have no problem to write metadata into photos. However, when I try the same with Lightroom classic 8.2.1, I'm getting error - photos have read-only access.

But when I check photos, the check mark for "read-only" is unchecked.

Permissions - I'm the only user (administrator), and all of principals (windows 10) have full access to image files.

After trying a lot of things (changing permissions, installing/un-installing lightroom, creating new catalogs, ..) I finally figured out what is the problem:

My image files are on virtual drive. I created virtual drive using DOS command "subst" (historical reasons; subst 😧 G:\...\....\....\Photos ).

Lightroom 5.7 doesn't have any problem with such created virtual drive, can write metadata into jpg files, but Lightroom Classic (newest version) can't. Always getting message "Photos have read-only access".

If I dismount the virtual drive and point the Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 catalog folder to the real location of photos, then the metadata writing works.

So my questions are:

• is this a bug in Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 that it sees jpg files on virtual drive as "read-only" or is this intentional? Lightroom 5.7 has no problem with it.
  • Is there some way around this issue so I can continue using my virtual drive? (a lot of my applications are dependent on it).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom classic 8.2.1 - Photos have read-only access

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos have read-only access

I upgraded from Photoshop Lightroom 5.7 to CC subscription Lightroom Classic 8.2.1.

My images are stored on internal hard drive.

With Lightroom 5.7 I have no problem to write metadata into photos. However, when I try the same with Lightroom classic 8.2.1, I'm getting error - photos have read-only access.

But when I check photos, the check mark for "read-only" is unchecked.

Permissions - I'm the only user (administrator), and all of principals (windows 10) have full access to image files.

After trying a lot of things (changing permissions, installing/un-installing lightroom, creating new catalogs, ..) I finally figured out what is the problem:

My image files are on virtual drive. I created virtual drive using DOS command "subst" (historical reasons; subst 😧 G:\...\....\....\Photos ).

Lightroom 5.7 doesn't have any problem with such created virtual drive, can write metadata into jpg files, but Lightroom Classic (newest version) can't. Always getting message "Photos have read-only access".

If I dismount the virtual drive and point the Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 catalog folder to the real location of photos, then the metadata writing works.

So my questions are:

• is this a bug in Lightroom Classic 8.2.1 that it sees jpg files on virtual drive as "read-only" or is this intentional? Lightroom 5.7 has no problem with it.
  • Is there some way around this issue so I can continue using my virtual drive? (a lot of my applications are dependent on it).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, no idea how to fix this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines