Highlighted

Lightroom Classic 9.0 sluggish and often comes to a halt - Windows 10 Business Edition

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom is very sluggish. No matter what operation I want to do, it is like it just have to wait a second to do it. Selecting a new image, changing a setting, opening the menu - everything.

I have tried to run with GPU enabled and disabled. I have optimized my catalog, cleared the cache. I think I have read all the different recommendations for improving speed. It worked really well on 7.2, but with the latest versions it has just gotten bad. My machine is pretty new - 3 months - and I would think it is powerfull enough for running Lightroom.

Core i9 9900K, 32 G RAM, 1 TB Samsung NVmE drive, GTX 1660 TI

It has commed to that I cannot have Photoshop open at the same time - and my entire workflow uses Lightroom and Photoshop together.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Stefan

System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18362
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3,6 GHz
Built-in memory: 32701,5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32701,5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 16543,8 MB (50,5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 17653,7 MB
GDI objects count: 840
USER objects count: 3059
Process handles count: 3197
Memory cache size: 4070,1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.0 [ 321 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2409MB / 16350MB (14%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2411MB / 32701MB (7%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1200
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (26.21.14.4112)

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Topics

Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic 9.0 sluggish and often comes to a halt - Windows 10 Business Edition

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom is very sluggish. No matter what operation I want to do, it is like it just have to wait a second to do it. Selecting a new image, changing a setting, opening the menu - everything.

I have tried to run with GPU enabled and disabled. I have optimized my catalog, cleared the cache. I think I have read all the different recommendations for improving speed. It worked really well on 7.2, but with the latest versions it has just gotten bad. My machine is pretty new - 3 months - and I would think it is powerfull enough for running Lightroom.

Core i9 9900K, 32 G RAM, 1 TB Samsung NVmE drive, GTX 1660 TI

It has commed to that I cannot have Photoshop open at the same time - and my entire workflow uses Lightroom and Photoshop together.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Stefan

System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.18362
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3,6 GHz
Built-in memory: 32701,5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32701,5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 16543,8 MB (50,5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 17653,7 MB
GDI objects count: 840
USER objects count: 3059
Process handles count: 3197
Memory cache size: 4070,1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.0 [ 321 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2409MB / 16350MB (14%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2411MB / 32701MB (7%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1200
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: Yes, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (26.21.14.4112)

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Topics

Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the slow performance of Lightroom Classic, as you've already tried some troubleshooting steps, could you try creating a new catalog in Lightroom and let us know if it works faster?

You may also try creating a new user account on Windows 10 with admin rights and test Lightroom's performance on that account. Please check the steps here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edited due to extreme bad spelling. Frig.

1. Where is your catalog located? Internal hard drive (Ok), Externaal Hard drive (Ok), NAS Defiantly not Ok)

2. On what drive, how much free space in pe recent? (25% or more)

3. What plug-ins do you have enabled ? (Sys Info shows that)

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.3, PS 21.2; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.5; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, so in the performance tweaks you have accomplished did you change Power Settings to High Performance?

Tip 8 in: https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.3, PS 21.2; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.5; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So NVIDIA GPU. Have you done this: https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

I tweaked the NVidan GPU as you suggested. Lightroom is still not running perfect - but it is a lot better now. I will try to create a new catalog, but for sure this tip helped a lot. Thank you very much for your help - I really appreciate it 🙂

Stefan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The hard drive that your catalog is in, have you checked it for errors?

If that hard drive is a spinning disk, old style, i.e. not SSD, have you run a defrag?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David and Sahil

Thanks for your reply 🙂

The catalog og previews are located on a new 1 TB NVmE SSD disk - Samsung 970 EVO - It is 33% full. This is also where Lightroom is installed. Backup and Cache is located on an older Samsung 850 Pro SSD. this is around 75% full. I have tried to move the catalog to the older disk, but that did not help anything
All the pictures are stored on 2 internal 6 TB disks - that are each approx. 50% full.

Windows is set to High Performance

I will test the NVidia tweak - did not know of that 🙂

I cleared out my plug-ins that I did not use - as I thought they could be an issue as well - I am left with these 2:

Installed Plugins:
1) LR/Instagram
2) Nikon Tether Plugin

I will try the NVidia tweak and to create a new user and a new catalog and see, if that gives any change.

Thanks all for the replies - I will update as I have tried it out

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that the catalog contains approx. 300,000 pictures and I have had this catalog since LR2 - with the updates of course 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines