• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 9.3 import problems

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to import a lot of photos (about 450 gig taken over 15 years) into a new catalog on a new hard drive. I am using Lightroom Classic 9.3 on a 2013 Macbook Pro running OS 10.15.5. Photos were moved into folders correctly based on Capture Date in the metadata. However, photos that actually show up in the catalog is another story. Many photos don't show up in the catalog at all. For example, there are about 200 photos in the 2000 folder, none of which show up in the catalog. There is a 2000 folder in the catalog but it contains zero photos.  Other photos show up in the catalog but they are all showing up under the wrong dates. The dates aren't even close to being right. When the import completed, I got the error message about files not being imported but there were all of three files that it said did not get imported.  Did I do something wrong during import? Is there a way I can get the catalog to match the data in the folders/subfolders?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Import >> Add

That keeps everything in the existing folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used move.  I like that it organized everything in to the date folders.  The folders the photos were in prior to the move were not structured in any kind of logical way that I wanted to preserve.

Any ideas on why so many photos are not showing up in the catalog and why the dates in the catalog do not match up with the capture dates in the metadata?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

450 GB of images in a single import seems to be a bit ambitious for Lightroom in my opinion. I think it would've been better to import in smaller chunks and take a little time to ensure that the images were being placed where you want them. Since you are adding needs to a new catalog, it might be well to arrange them the way you want them and then import them using the Add option rather than moving them again. But now that Lightroom has moved them it's going to be difficult to know where the images really are. It's also difficult to make suggestions without knowing what your other import options were, such as how you instructed Lightroom to build the folder structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it may be better to try smaller batches. You could create a new catalog:

File >> New Catalog

Choose a new catalog name and save by clicking Create

When the empty catalog opens try importing again.

You could start with the 2000 folder, perhaps when moving, choosing a new sub-folder e.g. 2000 New and then selecting dated folders. The destination panel should give you a preview of how many dated folders will be created and the number of files in each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good suggestions.  Thanks.  I will try again starting with a smaller batch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines