Exit

Lightroom Classic assimilating File type with file name

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

OS 10.15.6

I am currently replacing my Jpg photos with their Raw conterparts.

I want to keep keywords and faces so I associate the missing jpg with the raw file that I dropped in the folder that contained the jpg.

The issue is that LR keep the origial name wich contain the .jpg and is used in the file type filter in the metadata column. End og the line is that my raw photos are read like jpg.

Is there a way to not keep the original name. Are devs had request of making LR make a difference between File name and file type ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I want to keep keywords and faces so I associate the missing jpg with the raw file that I dropped in the folder that contained the jpg."

This can't possibly work.

If you have a JPG as seen in Lightroom Classic, and now you want the RAW in Lightroom Classic, you have to IMPORT the RAW. Then you can use the Syncomatic plug-in to transfer metadata. (And then you can remove the JPG from Lightroom Classic if you want)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. Faces and keywords stays. I delete the jpegs within the finder, LR pops up the exclamation point on the vignet, I target my Raw I placed in the folder and that's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How ere you shooting?

1. JPEG
  2. RAW
  3. RAW + JPEG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are old files 2009. I used to shoot in raw develop on NX, import as jpeg in LR at that time. The Raws are backed up on external in case I needed it. At that time it was mostly to keep space on my Mac hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAW and JPEG are different file types and typically treated as separate files despite a similar name.

One thing that gets a bit muddled is the option to treat JPEG seperate from RAW,  Ithink one should

Face Detection can be used to search for faces in kater photographs, 

google on that fir more.

Applying develop edits in JPEG files to RAW files, bit of a hmmmm, can you?? May be in Develop settings sync, not my experiance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's what I mean. I got more than 10000 photos to follow, so importing as new would mean to enter all keyword and faces again... That is not an option 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines