Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic- back up photos from one external to another

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic: looking for a simple solution:

all photos are on an external HD. Would like to have a back up, including the editing on a second HD without using a third party app.

I don`t mind to copy  photos from the original HD to the back up HD if necessary.

Tried to copy some photos first-then backed up thelightroom catalogue on exiting to the back-up HD, but no edits in those photos.

Thanks for any help,

Ute

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not store the edits with the photos. The edits are stored in the Catalog. So what you are seeing is expected.

Would like to have a back up, including the editing on a second HD without using a third party app.

I think this is a big mistake, backups should be made at regular intervals and automated. Humans get busy, humans get lazy, humans forget — and then one day your hard disk dies and your last backups is 2 months ago. Use a third party app, set it and forget it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX DJ. i understand that the edits are stored in the catalog, that`s why i backed it up on the back up external. When viewing the image on the back up external, via lightroom, the edits where not there. Is there a way to open the back up in Lightroom of course, but with the edits that i made on the original image.

Yes, i agree about your argument. But i only have a laptop, i travel, and i`m currently in germany, where i would like to leave a back up external before traveling back to Indo. I would like a back up with my photos and edits in germany. I do the best i can with back ups. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THX DJ. i understand that the edits are stored in the catalog, that`s why i backed it up on the back up external. When viewing the image on the back up external, via lightroom, the edits where not there. Is there a way to open the back up in Lightroom of course, but with the edits that i made on the original image.

By @Ute_G.

It's not clear what you did, it's not clear how you are vieweing these photos (and you did not explain in detail) but simply viewing the copy of your photos on an external drive will not show edits. This is completely normal.

To use the copy of the photos, you need to either copy them to the original location from the backup location, and then view them in Lightroom Classic; or you need to point Lightroom Classic to the copies on the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a good article on what LrC items you should be backing. This will allow a full restoration of LrC in the event of a disk failure.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/backup-lightroom-files/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx so much, i`ll study that article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all photos are on an external HD. Would like to have a back up, including the editing on a second HD without using a third party app.

As mentioned, since LR never makes changes to the original image, all changes are stored in the LR Catalogue (and XMP file for RAW if enabled). So all you have to do is backup your images to a 2nd drive. If you don't want to use a 3rd party, you may have to get a little technical. I have a nightly backup of my LR Catalogue and images using ROBOCOPY on Windows 10. This is a command line utility. I understand that on the MAC the equivalent is 'file sync'.

Tried to copy some photos first-then backed up thelightroom catalogue on exiting to the back-up HD, but no edits in those photos.

I'm not sure how you were trying to see the edits. As mentioned above and elsewhere here, the images themselve are not changed. You see the changes in LR but will not see them externally until you export or print them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx, i understand that edits are not made on the original. i`m trying to have a copy / back up of my external, including the edits in lightroom.And yes, i added the new external to lightroom, and am viewing the images in lightroom, but no edits are applied, i`m trying to find out how i can have the edits on my second HD/back-up HD in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When viewing the image on the back up external, via lightroom, the edits where not there."

As others have mentioned I'm not sure HOW you were veiwing the backup copies in Lightroom. Regardless, don't do that! Backup copies should NOT be reimported into Lightroom or any other editor. Doing so you run the risk of accidently deleting or modifying the files or folder structure. This will cause those files to go missing inside Lightroom when you try to use them for restoration puposes after  a catstrophic event (HDD crash).

At the link I provided:

If you’ve saved all of those files and you ever have to restore from your backups, you can simply return those files back to their correct locations, open your catalog, and carry on working as if nothing has happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just added the new HD to the volumes, as i have my other HD. Not sure why this should delete the folder structure ? i just need to check that i have the edits when i view them in lightroom. The back/up-copy will stay in germany, it`s for safety in case something happens to my HD. So it`s like an exact copy of what i have. Well, at least it`s what i`m trying to achieve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't "check that i have the edits when i view them in lightroom". There is no need to check the backup copies of the photos, the edits are not there. The edits are in the catalog. As long as the edits are in the catalog, you are good.

If you ever need to use the backup photos, you tell Lightroom Classic where the backups are, and Lightroom Classic then takes care of everything. How? Instructions are in this document: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Not sure why this should delete the folder structure ?"

Your backup on the external drive needs to be an exact copy of the primary files you have imported into LrC. The easiest way to do this is to use file synchronization software, which will keep track of new files added, files deleted, files renamed and folder structure changes you've made from inside LrC. No changes should be made to the files or folder structure on the backup or primary working drive from outside of LrC. This will cause it to lose track of the files since they are only associated inside LrC using your LrC catalog and NOT physically to the file system. We get many posts from users who have moved, deleted, or renamed files and folders from outside LrC using Finder or File Explorer. They are then  surprised and bewildered when all of those files and folders show as "missing" inside LrC. Don't do that, which is what I was trying to communicate. Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines