Highlighted

Lightroom Classic Catalog Issue

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 6.55.25 PM.png

The screenshot above shows the area I am having an issu with. As you can see I organize my pictures by date shot. The problem is that in the file structure above there are missing folders. When I tried to re-import the missing files the import dialoge screen shows that they are already in the catalog (all pics are dark). I have tried to sync the main "Pictures" folder with no luck. I have tried to restore a previous catalog copy with no luck. The files are present on the HD. How can I restore them to the file tree in the catalog when restoration of a backup copy doesn't work?

Worst case I suppose would be a total wipe and reinstall but that wouldn't be my first choice....

Thanks in advance for your assistance

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic Catalog Issue

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot above shows the area I am having an issu with. As you can see I organize my pictures by date shot. The problem is that in the file structure above there are missing folders. When I tried to re-import the missing files the import dialoge screen shows that they are already in the catalog (all pics are dark). I have tried to sync the main "Pictures" folder with no luck. I have tried to restore a previous catalog copy with no luck. The files are present on the HD. How can I restore them to the file tree in the catalog when restoration of a backup copy doesn't work?

Worst case I suppose would be a total wipe and reinstall but that wouldn't be my first choice....

Thanks in advance for your assistance

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 05, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see your screenshot

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No screen-clips attached!

Use the icon above the reply window to insert screen-clips in your posts.

ScreenShot115.jpg

"Missing Folders"

Are they totally not visible in the folder panel, or do they show with a [?] on the folder name?

Re-importing or Synchronizing Folders NEVER or RARELY fixes these problems. Do NOT import until you understand the problem!

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry all, somehow it was deleted....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I tried to re-import the missing files the import dialoge screen shows that they are already in the catalog (all pics are dark). I have tried to sync the main "Pictures" folder with no luck."

The photos are already in your catalog, and so you cannot import them again (and this is the wrong thing to do anyway). Similarly, synchronizing the folders does not work and is the wrong thing to do.

The reason the folders don't appear is taht you have (accidentally?) imported the photos using COPY, so Lightroom makes a COPY in a different folder and so Lightroom knows about the photos in a different folder and it is not the folder you think the photos are stored in. The solution is to find what folder Lightroom thinks the photos are in, and once you find them, let us know, the fix is easy.

You need to find these photos in Lightroom. Follow all of these four steps in order:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I found the photos hidden in a directory created by LR CC (that I tried before switching back to Classic). So now I have double the copies of some of the pictures and not of others, WHAT A MESS!!!

I am getting a new external HD today to move everything off og the internal so now would be the time for a clean-up. Suggestions on getting everything back the way it should be, one copy of the pic, one entry in the catalog....

Thanks again, this exercise has reminded me of why I left LR years ago. I have no idea what came over me to return.(sorry for the rant)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am getting a new external HD today to move everything off og the internal so now would be the time for a clean-up."

No, this is the worst time to do a "clean-up". COPY (not move) all the folders to the new external HD, keeping all folder hierarchies the same. Reconnect the folders to LR using the "Update Folder Location" command.

Once you are sure that all photos and folders are properly connected, and only once you have verified everything is connected, then you can delete the photos from the internal disk and then you can do whatever cleanup you need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0