Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LIGHTROOM CLASSIC CC AND LIGHTROOM CC IN THE CLOUD

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning all,

I have been using LR Classic CC for a few years now but have started to look at also using LR CC and the 1TB of space I have in the Adobe Cloud. I have managed (with the help of an Adobe technician) to sync all my 28000 (620GB, vast majority are RAW files) photos with the cloud. When I open Classic the cloud icon, top right, shows 282.5mb used of 1TB. As I understand it the files are kept in the cloud only as tiny Smart Previews not as the original large RAW files, presumably hence only 282.5mb used. So what is the point of paying for 1TB when it looks like I could store upt to 70 times my current catalogue of photos on the 20GB that comes free with the subscription.

I am clearly missunderstanding something here so would appreciate a little help please.

Regards

Andrew

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Lightroom Classic forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photography plan is aimed at LrClassic users. They can sync their entire image library to the cloud, but that will be as Smart Previews only, which do not count at all against the 20GB cloud allowance. So they can sync to their mobile devices and can thus carry their entire library with them wherever they go. Smart Previews are fine for general viewing, and even some casual editing, but are useless if you need to export full resolution files from the mobile devices.

The Lightroom plan is aimed at non-Classic users, or existing Classic users who want to migrate completely to Lightroom. In the Lightroom system, all images are automaticallly stored as full res originals in the cloud (which is why the cloud allowance starts at 1TB for the normal plan, though there are some 100GB variants, I beleive).

With the Photography plan you already have access to all the Lightroom apps and ecosystem, and have the 20GB cloud space which is useful, e.g. for syncing new captures on any iDevice back through the cloud to Classic. Once in Classic they can be deleted from the cloud and then synced back up as Smart Previews. That appears to be quite a common workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The benefit of having 1 TB of cloud storage is IF you are also using Lightroom (the cloud version), and are importing images directly using that version. Doing so will import the full-sized images to the cloud and will also synchronize those images with Lightroom Classic. If you are only synchronizing collections from Lightroom Classic then there is no point in having 1 TB of cloud storage because you will never use it.

Another use that would impact the 1 TB is if you are taking images with your mobile phone using Lightroom Mobile. Those images would be full-sized images in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just testing to see if I can reply here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silvia.

I have a saved reply to Jim Wilde and when I press the LOAD button it is displayed in the box prior to posting. When I push the POST button, still nothing happens

Regards

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silvia,

Strange that I can reply to yours but not to either Jim Wilde or JimHess.

Regards

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Silvia,

It looks like the problem is with the messages from both Jim Wilde and JimHess. I have been able to reply to yourself and to the latest post on the topic from Jowofoto.

Curiouser and curiouiser.

Regards

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a  old LR user from when LR was in beta - before the segmentation from LRC/LR. I load all my photos on LR and sync where I edit my photos on my phone (generally) since this is where the majority of my photos will be seen - instagram and facebook, primarily. I purchased the 1tb option and love it. It automatically uploads full resolution images and I work from smart previews. When I want to download a full-res or even RAW file - LR has that option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jowofoto,

My main usage is through Classic. That's where I hit the problem. The only way I can upload full res shots to Adobe Cloud is through CC first then sync across to Classic. The file structure for my 28,000 photos in Explorer dictates the structure in Classic and is pretty rigid. I have 155 folders containing my photos. Each of these folders has a title such as Egypt or Australia or Garden Birds etc. Some of these folders also have sub folders. Each of the photos have keywords for cross search purposes. As far as I can see it does not allow me to replicate that structure in CC, pretty much rendering use of CC useless to me.

That's as I understand it, anyway. 

Regards

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, let's clarify that there is no "CC" anymore. There is Lightroom Classic and there is Lightroom. The CC designation went away quite a while ago. I think what you are asking is about replicating the structure in Lightroom that you have in Lightroom Classic, and you are correct. That file structure cannot be replicated. If you are using Lightroom Classic and then sending images to Lightroom then it is necessary to create collections and then synchronize those collections which become albums in Lightroom. If you choose to upload or import master images directly to Lightroom then they will be imported and put in a date sensitive folder, and synchronized the same way with Lightroom Classic. You can then create an album in Lightroom or arrange them otherwise in Lightroom Classic. But you cannot have matching folder structures in the two programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess,

That is my reading of the situation. Will carry on with Classic and leave Lightroom and the Adobe Cloud to others.

I have tried to reply to your original post, by the way, but the system won't let me for some reason so thanks for your help.

Sorry about the use of CC, I am somewhat "old school".

Regards

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FWIW, for those users who still use named folders in Classic to organise their images, there's a facility in Classic which allows collections to be generated to replicate the folder structure. If the user does that then syncs the collections to the cloud (or migrates completely from Classic to Lightroom) those collections will then appear as albums in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines