Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC Deleted my photos on SD Card

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying Lightroom Classic CC.

It was stuck in an Import of a photo session I did this evening.  Using iMac with Lightroom Classic CC.

I stopped the Import after 15 minutes and there were no files imported.

I went to laptop to run the Import using Windows and not iMac.

Only showed the photos from yesterdays Import.

Todays session was completely GONE!  All photos from today's session were erased from my SD Card.

AM I in some hot water!

Never have I had this happen with my desktop iMac version of Lightroom.

I am at a lost for words!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Without knowing the exact settings, options, you chose in the Import dialog on your iMac it is hard to tell what happened.

By default if LR detects and is going to import images from a SD memory card, whether still in the camera or in a card reader, the only options available in the LR import dialog are Copy or Copy as DNG. Move and Add can't be selected.

But if for some reason LR is being shown that card as a Hard Drive and not a memory card from a camera, which can happen sometimes, then could b

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, deleting photos from a camera card is not (and has never been) a function in Lightroom. Nor has anyone reported such a problem that I am aware of.

Your symptoms indicate perhaps a hardware problem where (maybe) the photos were never written to the camera card, or some other hardware malfunction happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir.  The files were on the camera SD card.  Verified before the Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't answered all the questions asked of you.

Please do so.

Have you checked the iMac hard drive to see if the images are there?

Have you used a File Manager, either Finder on Mac or File Explorer on windows, to look at the SD card to see if the images are still on the card?

What camera are you using?

And one more.

Are you using a Card Reader or connecting the camera directly to the computer?

Sorry to say this but if you connect the camera directly to the computer, the computer and LR can see the SD card in the camera as just another external hard drive and LR will allow you to select the Move option when importing. Which will remove the images from the card.

So it is very important to check the Mac hard drive to see if those images were transferred to the hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, do you possibly have a new camera model that is not yet supported.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No sir, Sony A7M2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without knowing the exact settings, options, you chose in the Import dialog on your iMac it is hard to tell what happened.

By default if LR detects and is going to import images from a SD memory card, whether still in the camera or in a card reader, the only options available in the LR import dialog are Copy or Copy as DNG. Move and Add can't be selected.

But if for some reason LR is being shown that card as a Hard Drive and not a memory card from a camera, which can happen sometimes, then could be you have Move selected in the LR import window.

Check the iMac with Finder to see if those images are on your hard drive.

Also if you didn't properly eject that card from the SD slot on your iMac that could of corrupted the card in some way making your latest images look like they aren't there.

Try looking at the card with a File Manager to see exactly what is and is not on that card.

Does your camera have 2 memory card slots?

If it does do you record RAW on both or RAW on one and JPG on the other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copy is the function used.

Finder could not see the files from yesterday's session.  I verified they were on the card before the import was started.  The card was inserted into the iMac for Import.

SD card was ejected correctly.

I record in RAW&JPEG with only one memory card slot.  Neither the RAW or JPEG files were on the card after the Import was complete.  No files imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok we posted about the same time. I see you answered all the questions.

Well seems to be Bad Luck to end the year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used an SD card recovery tool.  Images found on SD card.  However, when I recover the RAW images, Lightroom cannot Import them.  ACDsee imported the files but could not edit them.

I can view them with finder, they are all the large RAW file.  But, now I cannot edit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are probably seeing is the embedded JPG image included ion every RAW file but the actual RAW data is corrupted.

Did You and or Can You recover the actual JPG files? If you can you can use them if they fit your needs.

I would start with checking out the iMac's built in SD card slot. They have been known to go bad and or become dirty and not read the data on the card correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the recovery files, they appear to be just the RAW file.

Corrupted?  Perhaps since they cannot be read.

The SD card was tried on two laptops with similar results.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well then maybe the card itself is starting to fail. How old is the card and how much has it been used. All solid state memory has write limits and then it starts to fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions.  It happened during a Lightroom import.

With all due respect to LR Classic CC, I can't help but think something happened during the transfer.

I will backup my cards before attempting another import when using LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I could replicate your scenario I would be able to validate your thoughts that it has something to do with Lightroom Classic CC. The fact is that since updating in October to Classic I've imported literally thousands of images from multiple sources, SD cards, Flash Cards, external hard drives, tethering, other catalogs. I can't make Lightroom delete images from my cards.

JSM has offered the most logical scenario and that is that the images were 'Moved' from the SD card while the camera was connected.

Please do a test with another card using a card reader or inserting the card into your computer. Post screen shots along the way to show what settings your import process is set to, Move, Copy, Add... if you can recreate images being deleted from your card it will be helpful to understand what your settings are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of camera? Were you shooting tethered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday.  I had 150 images from a flower show just "poof" vanish.  I had been able to preview them on the camera, but when I put the SD card into a usb card reader and attempted to import to LR Classic CC, no new files were displayed.  I then browsed the SD card using windows explorer and no files were found.  The only files that were on the card were the ones from prior shoots that had already been imported to LR.  Needless to say I'm fairly disappointed.  This has never happened to me.  I've reformatted my SD card and will report back if this recurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

szaral9927239  wrote

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday.  I had 150 images from a flower show just "poof" vanish.  I had been able to preview them on the camera, but when I put the SD card into a usb card reader and attempted to import to LR Classic CC, no new files were displayed.  I then browsed the SD card using windows explorer and no files were found.  The only files that were on the card were the ones from prior shoots that had already been imported to LR.  Needless to say I'm fairly disappointed.  This has never happened to me.  I've reformatted my SD card and will report back if this recurs.

Did you Review the images on the Camera before you removed the card and put it in the Card Reader?

I ask this because if you didn't do any reviewing of the images how do you know the camera actually recorded the images on the card.

Maybe the card wasn't inserted correctly and or enough in the card slot in the camera.

To my knowledge there is NO function in LR to Delete images while using the import window, before the actual import begins. Sure there is a Move function that will first copy images from a source then delete the images from the source but as stated before that function is only available when importing from a hard drive and not a camera memory card. That is unless something on your computer is making the memory card look like an external drive.

My Fuji X-T2 has an option to Shoot Without Card. Does your camera have a similar option? A warning might of come up stating No Card that you missed if the card wasn't inserted properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I had reviewed the images on  camera at multiple different times during the shoot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the files that you can see on the SD card... can you search globally on the next consecutive number? If the shoots were back-to-back then you might be able to locate the deleted images by running a search on the next number. It so easy to (it happens frequently) to "move' images upon import rather than 'copy'. Let's hope they're safely tucked away in another folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could be right about the move.  I have lightroom set up to copy images on import, but who knows.  Honestly I was on autopilot when i was importing and didn't look that closely at the selected options.  Its too late now - I suspected a fault with the SD card, so I reformatted and retested the card yesterday.  No issues to on the reformatted card.  So i guess that pretty much leaves user error. Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well auto - pilot on import works well if you make an import preset and always check that the preset is selected... and that it doesn't say (edited).

The pilot analogy is good too if you keep in mind that a pilot has a clipboard with a checklist that is reviewed before the key is turned...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC did the exact same to me they deleted all of my photos from source destination and the photos were imported but the source folder was empty, & this is not the first time but the second time that this has happened to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have Replied to a 3 year old conversation and your problem is Not what the original poster reported and needed help with.

Also there is NO Adobe program called Lightroom CC. There use to be but that name hasn't been used in over 3 years. Lr, whatever version, no longer uses the letters CC. So I have no idea which version of Lr you are having a problem with.

There is Lr Classic, Lr Desktop and Lr Mobile (and Lr Web for the online system).

Lr, any version, does NOT Delete files from the Source location when importing unless the USER has Selected the MOVE option in the Import dialog window, if that option is actually available which it is not when you are importing from a camera memory card.

I suggest you start your own, a New, conversation and give as much detail on what you are doing and what options you selected and include screen shots of what is being displayed on your screen.

2020-10-04 07_55_22-Lightroom Classic on Adobe Support Community.png

I am locking this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines