Highlighted

Lightroom Classic CC - sort by Capture Time faulty ?

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to Lightroom Classic CC and there seems to be an issue with "sort by Capture Time" as there are sync'd with LR photos placed later in the Catalog that are associated with an earlier time stamp - and all have the exactly same Capture Time and Capture Date in the metadata.

For example "Sort by Edit Time" gathers 4 photos together all at the same time stamp; whereas "Sort by Capture Time" gathers 3 Photos and puts the 4th offset by several hours or random. It generally seems that the offset photo is a LR mobile sync'd JPG file

The workflow to clear up all these duplicates worked well in Lightroom CC as sort by Capture Time gathered everything together for rapid deletion.

Tried

1. Select all and force a re-sort - same fault

2. Exit and restart - same fault

Using MacOS version on Sierra.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

I identified a bug syncing from LR iPhone to LR Classic: Lightroom Classic: Sync from iPhone LR sets inconsistent capture date, incorrect sorting | Photoshop Family Customer Com… . See that bug report for a simple workaround.  Please add your me-too vote and detailed opinion to the bug report, making it a little more likely Adobe might fix the bug before they cancel LR Classic.  (Other similar date/time bugs have remained unfixed for years.)

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic CC - sort by Capture Time faulty ?

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to Lightroom Classic CC and there seems to be an issue with "sort by Capture Time" as there are sync'd with LR photos placed later in the Catalog that are associated with an earlier time stamp - and all have the exactly same Capture Time and Capture Date in the metadata.

For example "Sort by Edit Time" gathers 4 photos together all at the same time stamp; whereas "Sort by Capture Time" gathers 3 Photos and puts the 4th offset by several hours or random. It generally seems that the offset photo is a LR mobile sync'd JPG file

The workflow to clear up all these duplicates worked well in Lightroom CC as sort by Capture Time gathered everything together for rapid deletion.

Tried

1. Select all and force a re-sort - same fault

2. Exit and restart - same fault

Using MacOS version on Sierra.

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

I identified a bug syncing from LR iPhone to LR Classic: Lightroom Classic: Sync from iPhone LR sets inconsistent capture date, incorrect sorting | Photoshop Family Customer Com… . See that bug report for a simple workaround.  Please add your me-too vote and detailed opinion to the bug report, making it a little more likely Adobe might fix the bug before they cancel LR Classic.  (Other similar date/time bugs have remained unfixed for years.)

TOPICS
Bug, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 21, 2017 3
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR has long been buggy with capture date/time, but there are usually simple workarounds. Initial troubleshooting steps:

1. Make sure that the capture date is showing under the thumbnails in Library grid view. If it isn't, do the menu commabnd View > View Options:

2. Do View > Sort > Capture Time.

3. Post a full-resolution screenshot of your entire LR window.

4. Select one of the photos in the group of three photos and post a screenshot of the Metadata panel with the EXIF tagset:

5. Repeat step 4 the fourth photo that isn't sorting correctly with the others.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. This is new since upgrading to Lightroom Classic CC. It worked in the previous version of Lightroom CC.

For me, the randomness in sorting occurs with photos taken on different cameras. If I put photos taken on multiple cameras in the same folder, then photos on any ONE of the cameras are in the right order, but when viewed together they're interspersed in the merge order incorrectly.

I have not found any way to change the sorting options to get this to work properly in Lightroom Classic CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, the randomness in sorting occurs with photos taken on different cameras. If I put photos taken on multiple cameras in the same folder, then photos on any ONE of the cameras are in the right order, but when viewed together they're interspersed in the merge order incorrectly.

Please follow the same troubleshooting steps as in the previous post. That will clarify what's going on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I've created screenshots for photos that sort incorrectly.

FWIW, the capture time of all of the photos is showing correctly on both the photos and in the property panel. The problem appears to be solely with the sorting order.

I took photos of grey crowned cranes with my DSLR, and three hours later I took photos of a zebra skull with my phone. They're mixed together in the same view even though the capture times are different. This bug did not happen last week in Lightroom CC. It showed up when I installed Classic.

This image shows the capture time for one of the zebra skull photos. Capture time: 10:34:27AM. Capture Time - Zebra Skull.JPG

This image shows the capture time for one of the grey crowned cranes photos. Capture time: 7:36:08 AM.

Capture Time - Grey Crowned Cranes 2.JPG

So in this example, the photo taken at 7am sorts AFTER the photo taken at 10AM. As you can see from the other photos, they're intermixed, somewhat randomly. For each camera, they're in order. But they're intermixed incorrectly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshots definitely show different symptoms from the past bugs (that are still present).

What order is checked when you do the menu command View > Sort?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is definitely a new bug.

Here's what shown on the Sort flyout menu:

Capture - LR Sort.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 0
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I can reproduce the bug (screenshots are great -- they give so many more clues than what is described verbally).

But some questions:

1. Your screenshot doesn't show the full EXIF tagset -- what type of photo are the Apple photos?  (DNG, JPEG)

2. Was the Apple photo taken with the camera functionality of the Lightroom app or the built-in iPhone Camera app?

3. Are there any instances of improperly sorted photos that don't involve the iPhone photos?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 1
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I identified a bug syncing from LR iPhone to LR Classic: Lightroom Classic: Sync from iPhone LR sets inconsistent capture date, incorrect sorting | Photoshop... . See that bug report for a simple workaround.  Please add your me-too vote and detailed opinion to the bug report, making it a little more likely Adobe might fix the bug before they cancel LR Classic.  (Other similar date/time bugs have remained unfixed for years.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017 2
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, and thanks to the others that did the detailed work!

I used the workaround on a test photo and it snapped into the correct position in the catalog. Excellent.

To save others following the bug report for a single photo

1. Select the photo

2. Menu -> Metadata -> Edit Capture Time ....

3. For "Adjust to a Specific Date and Time" button - check that the date + time is exactly the same then press "Change"

The [single] photo then appears in the correct place in the sorted catalog.

Is the best way for a large batch to do an offset of 00:00:00 [HH:MM:SS] ??

This is clearly a bug. Everyone reading this follow the link to the bug report and click "Me Too" at the top of the page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2017 0
Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the best way for a large batch to do an offset of 00:00:00 [HH:MM:SS] ??

The easiest way is the steps described in the bug report: Select all of the synced photos, do the menu command Metadata > Edit Capture Time, and click Change All.

The Edit Capture Time command confuses many people, but the words at the top explain why this works:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2017 0
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SortbyCaptureTime-1.PNG

SortbyCaptureTime-2.PNG

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 04, 2017 0
Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your second screenshot, the photos are not properly ordered by the capture date shown above the thumbnail. I noticed that many of the dates are from 1999 and 2000 -- are these scans of slides, prints, or negatives?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2017 0
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are all scans of negatives or prints. I have been going back and into my archives as time permits and either scanning them myself or sending them away to be scanned. Actually I have many that go back even further than that.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2017 0
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.

I finally got the two (woodpecker) images to fall in line. What I ended up doing is actually copying the metadata from one into the other. They both had the same info to begin with but for some reason Lightroom wouldn't use the capture date of the second one to sort by. After I did that it worked. However, and this is really strange. All that was done on the desktop. When I opened the laptop and opened the exact same catalog, the file was out of order. I don't get it? To boot, the file has an exclamation point telling me that changes were made in another program... yada, yada, yada. That absolutely should not be! Actually both files have an exclamation point. The JPG has no keywords, and no camera date info all except for the camera model and GPS data.

I'm including pictures again. I blacked out some personal info in #1 and in #2 I include the left side panel so you can see I am indeed in the catalog and not the folder. Which by the way the two images are in the same folder.

xmp_sync_capture_date_issue_1a.PNG

xmp_sync_capture_date_issue_2b.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2017 0
Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they are all scans of negatives or prints.

You've tripped over a bug that's been outstanding for years: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Co...LR doesn't correctly handle images that originally didn't contain capture dates in their metadata.

The workaround to correct these photos is straightforward: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Co... .

Please click the ME TOO button in that bug report and add details of your issue. Adobe has said that they're not letting LR Classic wither away and they're investing a lot more into it -- if that's true, then it's important to keep bug reports and feature requests in the official Adobe feedback forum up-to-date. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2017 1
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I read this thread properly - Lightroom 1.3 CANNOT Sort by Capture Time (BUG?)

Then at the time I'm writing this, the 'feature' is no more than 10 days away from its 10th anniversay

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2017 0
Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are definitely specific sort-by-capture-date bugs that have been present for at least 6 years, probably longer.  LR has never handled correctly scans missing capture dates. The original post in this thread is about a recently introduced bug caused by syncing with LR Mobile. 

In the LR 1.3 thread you linked to, there's not enough detail to know for certain, but I think those symptoms are referring to other bugs that were fixed long ago.  In general, since at least LR 3, LR has correctly sorted still images imported unmodified from digital cameras.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2017 0
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you and I have ben having conversations like this for over three years. Three, six and ten are all shameful in any context of software development, or lack of.

Anyway, by "this". I meant the farrago of things that purport to be capture date. Here is the Bing definition of the word, seems appropriate to me

"A farrago is a pile of odds and ends or a random assortment of stuff. If your teacher said your paper was a farrago of thoughts, that's not good: a farrago is a disorganized mix of things that don't fit together. Farrago sounds more formal than hodgepodge or mishmash, but it means about the same thing."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2017 0
Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, it's a farrago 😆

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 10, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same sorting problem immediately after the update. Everything was fine on the previous version, then on LR Classic it is completely wrong. It seems to incorrectly sort various formats of images including scans and digital images from various cameras.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2017 0
Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same sorting problem immediately after the update. Everything was fine on the previous version, then on LR Classic it is completely wrong. It seems to incorrectly sort various formats of images including scans and digital images from various cameras.

This may or may not be caused by the bug just identified.  Troubleshooting steps:

1. Have any of the improperly sorted photos been synced from LR Mobile / the new LR CC?  If yes, then apply the workaround posted earlier in this thread.

2. If scans are not sorting properly, that is a problem that's existed for many years and Adobe has decided not to fix.  The same workaround as step 1 usually fixes them.

3. If neither 1 nor 2 apply, then please post screenshots as described here: Re: Lightroom Classic CC - sort by Capture Time faulty ? . Please follow the screenshot steps exactly, since the details are key to identifying the problem and discovering a workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 22, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I spend some time today trying the workaround.

To answer your questions:
1 & 2. The Apple iPhone photos in my case are all DNG photos, taken with Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone 7 Plus.
3. I didn't see any cases where non-iPhone or non-Lightroom Mobile photos were sorted incorrectly.

So it appears that this sorting problem does indeed only affect photos that sync from my phone via Lightroom Mobile.

I tried the workaround (Metadata->Edit Capture Time...) and it worked like a charm. My photos are now sorting correctly!

John, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Since I have a good (and easy) workaround, I think I'm all set at this point.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2017 0
Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good. Please add your me-too vote and details of your issue to the bug report: Lightroom Classic: Sync from iPhone sets inconsistent capture date, incorrect sorting | Photoshop Fa... That will make it a little more likely Adobe will fix the bug before they cancel LR Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 23, 2017 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

metoo​

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 25, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#metoo.  iPhone X photos do not sort properly. iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 and dSLR (Canon) all sort properly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2017 0
Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're experiencing bugs with iPhone photos synced to LR 7 via LR Mobile not sorting correctly by capture time, then please add constructive details of your issue to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic: Sync from iPhone sets inconsistent capture date, incorrect sorting | Photoshop Fa... . Be sure to click Me Too in the upper-right corner. That will make it more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix and notify you of any changes to the bug's status.  Typing "me too" in this forum will not influence Adobe, since the product developers don't monitor this forum.  LR has had significant problems with capture time since version 1, but if not many people make their opinions known to Adobe through their designated feedback channels, they won't make fixing the problems a priority. (I'm just the messenger, don't shoot me.)

The bugs with inconsistent handling of scans missing capture dates entirely appear to have been finally fixed in LR 7.1: Lightroom: Still inconsistent capture date/time for photos and videos | Photoshop Family Customer Co...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2018 2
New Here ,
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read through tons of posts trying to fix this bug but my images are still all out of order. There's 900 photos I need to sort so I can export them in the proper order. I do NOT want to manually sort every single image. Has anyone found a fix for this???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read through tons of posts trying to fix this bug but my images are still all out of order.

As a first troubleshooting step, please do Help > System Info and copy and paste the first ten or so lines here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am suffering with the same. Not only by capture time but by name too. I tried to rename all my photos starting the date and time but this is still the same. Seemingly LR sorts the wedding photos shot by two cameras differently. Starting to get crazy. I was hoping that the latest update would solve but nothing. See example.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 0
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please verify that the screen is still showing the order of thumbnails as in your screenshot. Then do the menu command View > Sort -- which sort order is currently checked?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just changed it to name to see if it works. First I tried the previously mentioned solutions but did not work with the capture time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 0
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the screenshot, the photos are ordered in ascending order by both capture date and filename:

2017-06-10 00:56:25

2017-06-10 00:56:32

2017-06-10 00:56:50

2018-06-09 13:57:29

2018-06-09 14:05:52

2018-06-09 14:24:38

2018-06-09 14:26:03

2018-06-09 14:28:13

2018-06-09 14:28:17
2018-06-09 14:29:11

Some of the photos are in 2017 and some in 2018. You mentioned two cameras -- perhaps the clock on one is set wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 1
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Holy God! I have not noticed, The Year! Will change it now and see if it works. Thanks! Shame on me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 0
Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing to be embarrassed about -- it's not an uncommon mistake. LR's low-contrast user interface makes these things easy to overlook.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2018 0