• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Compatibility

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is Lightroom Classic compatible with Mac OS High Sierra v10.13?  

Also is there a Photo Installer in Lightroom like I've been using in Bridge/CS5 to import Raw files from my camera?  Thanks,

-Howard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Let me add to DJ: Yes you are good to go with High Sierra.

As far as getting the photos from your camera/card, the answer is yes but the workflow is very different. In Bridge you use the "Photo Downloader," In LR-C you import the images from the camera/card to whereever you keep then within LR.

• With Bridge your images can be anywhere and it doesn't make a difference if you move files around in Bridge or the Finder

• With LR-C (not Lightroom Desktop which is a cloud-based image system), it

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Lightroom Classic runs on OSX 10.13 and higher

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

I don't really know what you mean by "photo installer". Lightroom Classic has its own functions to get photos from your camera or from a mobile device or from hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add to DJ: Yes you are good to go with High Sierra.

As far as getting the photos from your camera/card, the answer is yes but the workflow is very different. In Bridge you use the "Photo Downloader," In LR-C you import the images from the camera/card to whereever you keep then within LR.

• With Bridge your images can be anywhere and it doesn't make a difference if you move files around in Bridge or the Finder

• With LR-C (not Lightroom Desktop which is a cloud-based image system), it also doesn't care where your images are BUT you cannot move images around in the Finder and expect things to be just fine in Lightroom.

The issue here is that Lightroom is an image enhancer AND a DAM (Digital Asset Manager). It needs to know exactly where things are and it does that within your Lightroom Catalog. If you move an image or a folder in the Finder, the Catalog has no clue as to what happened to those images/folders and will let you know that it doesn't know where the images are. You can point the way to where they are within Lightroom-C but if you had moved them within LR-C in the first place, there would not have been an issue.

For more basic information on how to use LR-C, let me refer you to The Lightroom Queen's website, she has a free e-book that should get you started with the basics and she has many videos where she shows you best practice.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Gary thanks so much for your help and clarification on this.  I'm sure once I start using LR-C it will all make sense.  And I'll check out the Lightroom Queen's e-book.  

Thanks Again!

-Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey thanks for the help dj_paige

I've been using CS5 and Bridge so long and it's easy staying with something you know but now Bridge's photo installer utility is not recognizing my camera to download photos so it's timer I use Lightroom.  

Best,

-Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightrom Classic, the File > Import Photos and Video command offers essentially the same features as the File > Get Photos from Camera command in Bridge. It will look similar to you: You get to preview and select the images, set their destination and metadata, etc.

It looks like the Bridge version doesn’t offer import presets. That’s a great feature in Lightroom Classic. You get to save your favorite combinations of import settings as presets, so instead of having to always make sure the settings are correct, you just select your preset and everything will work the way you intended. Also, Lightroom Classic puts a huge Import button in the bottom left corner of its Library module so that you can just click that (or press the Import keyboard shortcut) instead of having to find the Import command on the menu.

Even easier (at least on a Mac, this might not always work in Windows)...you can drag and drop images from the desktop into Lightroom Classic or its application icon, and the Import dialog box will pop up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines