• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic crashes/freezes computer after changing hardware

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is meant to be in the lightroom classic community, but creating a new post results in it being blocked for spam. So its here.

Recently, I upgraded my computer and after adding new hardware, lightroom classic started to crash, causing my whole computer to crash, the crashing appears to be kinda random. My mouse could still move around but everything slowly grinds to a halt (all windows functions stop to work until my mouse freezes, a window comes up to stop the process which is not responding, my wallpaper also becomes black), and my whole computer becomes unusable instantly, requiring a power cycle.

I changed my CPU, RAM and motherboard as described below:

Before:

Motherboard -> unknown but I can find out if required (intel I think)

CPU -> Intel i5-2500S @ 2.5GHz

RAM -> Unknown DDR3 memory.

After:

Motherboard -> Asus tuf b450m-plus gaming

CPU -> AMD Ryzen 3 3200g

RAM -> Corsair lpx vengeance 2x 8GB

Other hardware (unchanged):

GPU -> GTX 750 ti

Running Windows 10 64 bit

My OS is installed on a 120GB SSD (some adobe files are on this, such as creative cloud location), I also have a 2TB drive for games (which I play with absolutely no problem) and programs (where lightroom is installed), and 1TB drive for storing photos.

I'm pretty confident I have fully tried all the proposed fixes from the support page: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-windows.html

I have installed all the latest drivers, GPU driver from GeForce experience, and others from https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B450M-PLUS-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/(updating BIOS, audio, LAN and chipset drivers). Checking others with device manager.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

After diagnosing hardware, then drivers, my computer went into a strange BDOS boot loop, so I just decided to reinstall windows as I had nothing to lose and wanted a fresh start anyway. 

Running lightroom on the new install didn't seem to fix the problem but then I removed my GPU and it worked.

I decided to put the GPU back in and install the latest driver and I haven't had a problem with it so far (its been running for far longer than before), so I think the problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Lightroom Classic on your computer changing the hardware.

Would you mind confirming if you re-installed Windows and the applications from scratch after changing the hardware or did you use some sort of a cloning/migration software to migrate the data?

Since you might have already tried uninstalling and re-installing the application, you can try creating a new user account on the computer to check if the issue persists there as well.

Please check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"My OS is installed on a 120GB SSD (some adobe files are on this, such as creative cloud location)"

How much free space do you have on the 120GB C: drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only about 10GB, do you think this could be part of the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response,

As I am using the same drives as with my previous motherboard/cpu, I've continued to use the same harddrive/ssd combination.

I have tried creating a new account, with admin rights, and this still doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer crashes are almost always hardware or bad drivers. You need to run diagnostics on your hardware (all of it) and also make sure the drivers are up-to-date (reinstall them to make sure the currently installed driver is not corrupted). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Only about 10GB, do you think this could be part of the problem?"

That is most definetely a problem. I suggest getting at least a 256GB SSD as a minium. For now you can move the LR Catalog folder to the 1TB or 4TB drive. Do this with LR closed and then when you relaunch you'll need to manaully point to the new catalog folder location Lightroom Catalog.lrcat file (i.e. showing as missing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, however my catalog and photos, along with lightroom it self are all on the other hard-drives. Only the creative cloud and I'd image some caches are on my SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only mentioned moving the LR Catalog folder because it's normally installed on a faster (SSD) system drive. The objective was to free up space on the C: drive, which it sounds like is not possible. The solution is to purchase a 256GB or larger SSD and clone over the current drive to the new drive. Most SSDs come with cloning software that make it easy. This M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD is a good choice for price/performance.

Samsung 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, lack of space on a disk doesn't cause the symptoms mentioned and doesn't cause computer crashes. Normally, if there's a problem due to disk space, you get a message indicating the disk is running out of space. Sometimes it causes slowness as well, but not crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said, "That is most definetely a problem" and something the OP appears to be "working around" by installing LR, the LR Catalog, and perhaps the Camera Raw Cache on a non-system drive. That should be fixed by installing a larger system drive, installing LR and its components on that drive, and then if the system is still crashing we can investigate further. It makes no sense to do that now unless the C: drive can be freed up and maintained with at least 50GB of unused space. Even then LR perfomance will suffer due to LR and it's components installed on a slower drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but in my mind, this won't fix the computer crashing randomly problem, as that's not a symptom of a nearly full disk. Also, the symptom of mouse moving slowly doesn't depend on disk space at all. Seems like there are two problems that need to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After diagnosing hardware, then drivers, my computer went into a strange BDOS boot loop, so I just decided to reinstall windows as I had nothing to lose and wanted a fresh start anyway. 

Running lightroom on the new install didn't seem to fix the problem but then I removed my GPU and it worked.

I decided to put the GPU back in and install the latest driver and I haven't had a problem with it so far (its been running for far longer than before), so I think the problem is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just out of curiosity how much free space do you have now on your C: drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines