Highlighted

Lightroom Classic exported image no longer looks the same.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After the updates (never had this issue before) When I export an image or choose edit in Photoshop, the image does not look as it does in Lightroom. I do alot of digital darkroom editing but this has never been an issue before.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a solution?

Thanks!

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic exported image no longer looks the same.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After the updates (never had this issue before) When I export an image or choose edit in Photoshop, the image does not look as it does in Lightroom. I do alot of digital darkroom editing but this has never been an issue before.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a solution?

Thanks!

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely caused by a defective monitor profile.

See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I followed the instructions and recalibrated the iMac monitor but it did not fix the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the exact version numbers for Lightroom and the Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 9.2 and Camera Raw 12.2

BTW - The problem only seems to be with certain images.

As I look at other images, not all are effected.

Here is an example of the problem, the way it looks in photoshop is also how the image looks exported. The issue is in the hair.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4w31rl4hf5h427/side_by_side_test.jpg?dl=0 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you view the image at 1:1 in Lightroom and at 100% Photoshop?

This is the only magnification that gives you a true representation of the image, because one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

This is especially important when evaluating sharpness and noise, and there seems to be some noise in the image.

(And you can insert images directly in the forum by clicking the insert image icon in the tollbar)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Its strange and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I am now shooting with the Sony A7R4.

It is partly what you are saying in that when I zoom in to 100%, Lightroom re renders the image and when I zoom back out to fit, it zeeps the new rendered look. And that look is not just noice it is exposure aspects as well which is even influencing the density of color saturation, etc. I realize this series of images is being pushed harder in Lightroom with post processing AND I did shoot this series at 3200 iso, but the fact remains that I did the adjustments while in the fit view to see the full image and it looks good there in all regards.

Perhaps I should utilize a specific import function with these larger file sizes, I am shooting in uncompressed raw 61 megapxel files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to do anything special when importing, just don't adjust sharpening and noise reduction in Fit view.

It's vital that you do this at 1:1, for the reasons I explained above.

when I zoom in to 100%, Lightroom re renders the image and when I zoom back out to fit, it zeeps the new rendered look.

What you're seeing is a perfect demonstration of what happens to noise and sharpening when the image is scaled.

Ignore what you see in Fit view, just make sure that the image looks right at 1:1, that's all that matters.

As for exported images, you have to view these at 1:1 (100%) as well to get a true rendering of the image.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the support. 

I am not in my studio now but I am pretty sure there was also exposure variables noticeable especially in blacks.  Hard to imagine that is also tied to the noise and sharpening?

do you have an importing suggestion to minimize these issues?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with importing, and everything to do with editing and viewing the image at 1:1.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to apply sharpening and noise reduction at 1:1.

If you do this in Fit view, you're working in the blind, because you're not seeing a true representation of the image.

This is especially important with noisy and/or oversharpened images, where there can be quite a big difference between 1:1 and Fit view, also tonally.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered if the preview image needed to be of higher resolution (created during inporting) so that the fit view image would be able to reflect accurately ALL the adjustments being made. The issue reveals itself after I zoom in and only then does the different look of the image stay that way if I zoom back out to fit view. So Lightroom can show me (render) these issues , its just doing it only after I have zoomed in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines