• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic exported image no longer looks the same.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After the updates (never had this issue before) When I export an image or choose edit in Photoshop, the image does not look as it does in Lightroom. I do alot of digital darkroom editing but this has never been an issue before.

Anyone else having this issue or know of a solution?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is most likely caused by a defective monitor profile.

See https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I followed the instructions and recalibrated the iMac monitor but it did not fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the exact version numbers for Lightroom and the Camera Raw plugin for Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 9.2 and Camera Raw 12.2

BTW - The problem only seems to be with certain images.

As I look at other images, not all are effected.

Here is an example of the problem, the way it looks in photoshop is also how the image looks exported. The issue is in the hair.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4w31rl4hf5h427/side_by_side_test.jpg?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you view the image at 1:1 in Lightroom and at 100% Photoshop?

This is the only magnification that gives you a true representation of the image, because one image pixel is represented by one screen pixel.

This is especially important when evaluating sharpness and noise, and there seems to be some noise in the image.

(And you can insert images directly in the forum by clicking the insert image icon in the tollbar)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Its strange and I am wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I am now shooting with the Sony A7R4.

It is partly what you are saying in that when I zoom in to 100%, Lightroom re renders the image and when I zoom back out to fit, it zeeps the new rendered look. And that look is not just noice it is exposure aspects as well which is even influencing the density of color saturation, etc. I realize this series of images is being pushed harder in Lightroom with post processing AND I did shoot this series at 3200 iso, but the fact remains that I did the adjustments while in the fit view to see the full image and it looks good there in all regards.

Perhaps I should utilize a specific import function with these larger file sizes, I am shooting in uncompressed raw 61 megapxel files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to do anything special when importing, just don't adjust sharpening and noise reduction in Fit view.

It's vital that you do this at 1:1, for the reasons I explained above.

when I zoom in to 100%, Lightroom re renders the image and when I zoom back out to fit, it zeeps the new rendered look.

What you're seeing is a perfect demonstration of what happens to noise and sharpening when the image is scaled.

Ignore what you see in Fit view, just make sure that the image looks right at 1:1, that's all that matters.

As for exported images, you have to view these at 1:1 (100%) as well to get a true rendering of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the support. 

I am not in my studio now but I am pretty sure there was also exposure variables noticeable especially in blacks.  Hard to imagine that is also tied to the noise and sharpening?

do you have an importing suggestion to minimize these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with importing, and everything to do with editing and viewing the image at 1:1.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to apply sharpening and noise reduction at 1:1.

If you do this in Fit view, you're working in the blind, because you're not seeing a true representation of the image.

This is especially important with noisy and/or oversharpened images, where there can be quite a big difference between 1:1 and Fit view, also tonally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered if the preview image needed to be of higher resolution (created during inporting) so that the fit view image would be able to reflect accurately ALL the adjustments being made. The issue reveals itself after I zoom in and only then does the different look of the image stay that way if I zoom back out to fit view. So Lightroom can show me (render) these issues , its just doing it only after I have zoomed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others have explained this already. The problem is noisy images and scaling algorithms. In order to display a high resolution image on your screen, it has to be scaled down somehow. In the develop view, in order to retain a reasonable speed, the scaling is doner from a subsampled copy of the raw data. If you would render the entire image every time, the program would be unbearably slow. So there is an optimization happening to keep editing speed reasonable. This inevitably leads to inaccurate representation of the noisiness and is why people tell you to NEVER touch the sharpening and noise reduction when zoomed out. Only do it at 100% view. That is the only view where the noise reduction and sharpening are accurate. This also leads to, when you have noise in the images to different impression of highly detailed or noisy areas, let alone the issue that we haven't even talked about that the Develop data is in a completely different color space. It is all in a linear color space with prophotoRGB primaries. That doesn't matter for individual colors, but when scaling images with lots of color detail, you get different results than when scaling in gamma corrected and narrower spaces.

When you export, the image is rendered at full resolution and then scaled down to the resolution of your screen, either at the export stage, or by the program you use to view the image. Needless to say, that will employ radically different scaling algoithms than the Develop view uses. This can lead to different impressions of sharpness, noise, etc. depending on the scaling algorithm and downscaling level employed. Again you can't really control much of this. It is a basic consequence of imaging science that is unavoidable. Only when we have displays with the exact same resolution as your images would this be avoidable. These don't exist yet.

Lastly note that this is a very common issue in night images. such as milky way shots. Often people are surprised when their image changes noise level wise and sharpness impression wise when shifting from Develop to library or to an exported jpeg. This is again a consequence of the inherent properties of digital images and the need to scale to the display resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to thank you all for the xtraordinary level of community support. I dont think I have ever seen such fast response times in any forum.

Also Jao_Vdl, your detailed explanation is very comprehensive and clarifying, thank you for that.

It makes sence that that this shoot for which I am having this issue was with a new high resolution camera and shot in part at 3200 iso, two new aspects in my workflow that are contributing to and in alignment with the technical limitations you describe.

So thank you for the awakening 🙂

Best, 

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great reply to this post, thank you. Yet as i was saying in another post, I see wonderful night edited images on the web, so how do they come to that result since they all encounter the same problem I guess. So what is it ? Because if it was only the  scaling algorithm and downscaling level employed then we would all have the same issue, yet some images seems incredibly sharp so... what do they use or how do they do it ? Because, as I mentioned somewhere else, to give an example, a free simple software such as Photofiltre, that don't do RAW but just from JPEG to JPEG corrected and exported, from LR6 it would be crap and fadded whereas from Photofiltre it will retain the software edited crisp and tonal look. So, how to edit then to get that with LR ?

An example below so that you can see how bad it is...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom/lightroom-export-quality/td-p/10957405?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you absolutely sure that you also work in Photoshop in ProPhoto RGB and have not accidentally converted to another profile when opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no particular need to work in ProPhoto in Photoshop, nor is there any particular need to keep the Lightroom default of ProPhoto.

Any incoming profile will be correctly handled in Photoshop. That's what color management is.

In any case that's not the issue here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the clarification, I accidentally replied to the wrong post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines