• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic External Drive Issue

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic (updated as of this morning) running on a 2015 iMac and am trying to move most of my folders to an external drive.  The problem is that Lightroom will not recognize the new external drive in the Folders View.  I can see it in the list when I import items but it's not showing up on the Folders View list.  I have imported images to the new external drive so it's not due to zero interaction.

I tried to do an "end run" by copying all the folders I wish to move from my internal drive to my new external drive.  I then right clicked on the folder in Folders View and selected "Update Folder Location" and selected the copied folder on the external drive as it will show up in its Finder-type dialog box.  All the files then became "missing" files as it apparently didn't recognize the external drive even though it was an option at that point.  

I'm just not sure why it's not showing up in the Folders View.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

"I have imported images to the new external drive"

By "importing to", do you mean you imported from, say, an SD card, using Move or Copy and setting the destination in the Import window to be the external drive?

I was suggesting something different: Use Finder to place a test photo in a folder on the drive, and then import with the Add option, setting  the source set to that folder.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please copy here the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info, which will let us know precisely which LR and OS you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using MacOS Catalina? Make sure Lightroom has all the permissions it needs:

catalinasecurity.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing.  First ten lines of system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.13.6 [17G9016]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.3 GHz
Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan...using High Sierra currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing a test photo from a folder on the external drive.  Does the import succeed, and if so, does the external drive show up in the Folders panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John...I have already imported photos from the new drive twice (stated in original post).  It is still not showing up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David.  Is there something in the link about adding a drive to the list?  It appears it's just about adding and manipulating existing folders and volumes.  Mine is not showing up to manipulate.  The volume name for my external drive is PHOTOS-2019.  It's not showing up in the list even though I've added photos into LR from it (see picture below).

I tried to add the folder from the external drive.  It simply sends me to the import screen and attempts to add all the pictures like a normal import.  They are already in LR.  I just want to add the drive and re-point an existing folder to an exact copy on the new drive.  But before I can do that, it seems I need to be able to see the drive.  Simply right clicking and repointing seems to be sending them into oblivion, even though the directory exists.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 1.13.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have imported images to the new external drive"

By "importing to", do you mean you imported from, say, an SD card, using Move or Copy and setting the destination in the Import window to be the external drive?

I was suggesting something different: Use Finder to place a test photo in a folder on the drive, and then import with the Add option, setting  the source set to that folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I was suggesting something different: Use Finder to place a test photo in a folder on the drive, and then import with the Add option, setting  the source set to that folder."

And if that succeeds in adding a photo from that folder on the external drive to your catalog, then do this as a next step: 

Right-click the photo in Library grid view and do Go To Folder in Library. Normally, that would expose the containing drive in the Folders panel, with the containing folder selected.  If that doesn't happen, post another screenshot of what you do see in the Folders panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David.  Is there something in the link about adding a drive to the list?  It appears it's just about adding and manipulating existing folders and volumes.  Mine is not showing up to manipulate.  The volume name for my external drive is PHOTOS-2019.  It's not showing up in the list even though I've added photos into LR from it (see picture below).

1. See the + symbol to right of Folders? Click on it to Add folders.

an alternate link: https://digital-photography-school.com/folders-panel-lightroom/

2. Those ? marks in various folde indicate missing folders. Folders once pointed to in LRC but moved/renamed/deleated outside if LRC. or if external, perhaps not on/connected.

see; http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John.  When you say use the "Add" option, what are you referring to?  Import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John...nevermind!  I forgot about the add option after the import process is started.  I'll give it a try.  Stand by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John...it worked!  The drive is now visible!  Using the add option did the trick.  Thanks much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved.  I don't know why Update Folder Location didn't work for you initially -- that is generally a good way of moving large numbers of folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as noted in this stream.  I've read and re-read the solution a number of times but still don't get it.  I have a new external hard drive and plan to move all of my pictures to it (about 26,000).  Lightroom won't recognize the external drive, even though it's mounted on the desk top. Can anyone explain the solution a bit more clearly?  Thanks, John

Oh: I'm using a 2012 iMac running Catalina. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I would be assertive that you should post your own problem, above after all a year old. but

The word Catalina combined with external drive prompts me to talk of MACOS Security, specifically application rights.

Outside if LrC, in your MACOS, bring up System Preferences. Select Security and Privacy. Select the Privacy tab. Scroll down to Files and Folders. Make sure all drive types are checked, in your case probably Removable Media. Do this for both Lightroom Classic and while you are at it Photoshop

CatalinaFilesandFolderrs.PNG

see: https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also just right click the child folder in the folders list and then choose show parent folder. It will then pull the parent folder into your folders list. That's easier than adding and importing a test image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines