Highlighted

Lightroom Classic External Drive Issue

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic (updated as of this morning) running on a 2015 iMac and am trying to move most of my folders to an external drive.  The problem is that Lightroom will not recognize the new external drive in the Folders View.  I can see it in the list when I import items but it's not showing up on the Folders View list.  I have imported images to the new external drive so it's not due to zero interaction.

I tried to do an "end run" by copying all the folders I wish to move from my internal drive to my new external drive.  I then right clicked on the folder in Folders View and selected "Update Folder Location" and selected the copied folder on the external drive as it will show up in its Finder-type dialog box.  All the files then became "missing" files as it apparently didn't recognize the external drive even though it was an option at that point.  

I'm just not sure why it's not showing up in the Folders View.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

"I have imported images to the new external drive"

By "importing to", do you mean you imported from, say, an SD card, using Move or Copy and setting the destination in the Import window to be the external drive?

I was suggesting something different: Use Finder to place a test photo in a folder on the drive, and then import with the Add option, setting  the source set to that folder.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic External Drive Issue

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom Classic (updated as of this morning) running on a 2015 iMac and am trying to move most of my folders to an external drive.  The problem is that Lightroom will not recognize the new external drive in the Folders View.  I can see it in the list when I import items but it's not showing up on the Folders View list.  I have imported images to the new external drive so it's not due to zero interaction.

I tried to do an "end run" by copying all the folders I wish to move from my internal drive to my new external drive.  I then right clicked on the folder in Folders View and selected "Update Folder Location" and selected the copied folder on the external drive as it will show up in its Finder-type dialog box.  All the files then became "missing" files as it apparently didn't recognize the external drive even though it was an option at that point.  

I'm just not sure why it's not showing up in the Folders View.  Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by johnrellis | Most Valuable Participant

"I have imported images to the new external drive"

By "importing to", do you mean you imported from, say, an SD card, using Move or Copy and setting the destination in the Import window to be the external drive?

I was suggesting something different: Use Finder to place a test photo in a folder on the drive, and then import with the Add option, setting  the source set to that folder.

Topics

Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please copy here the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info, which will let us know precisely which LR and OS you're running.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using MacOS Catalina? Make sure Lightroom has all the permissions it needs:

catalinasecurity.png

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing.  First ten lines of system info:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.13.6 [17G9016]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.3 GHz
Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan...using High Sierra currently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/create-folders.html

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 9.4, PS 21.2.1; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.6; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines