• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic extremely slow on new PC.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Installed lightroom classic on a new PC and followed all recommendations to speed it up ( like 1:1 preview and 70 GB of Cache on a SSD and all other recommendation) And it is as slow as if I would have downgraded to a year 2000 PC. Scrolling in the library takes 3 sec or more per photo to load even after the 1:1 previews have been just built. I included the PC configuration ( has a SSD with 1TB  Gen 4 PCIe ) and a Ryzen 3950x and a second SSD just for the cache. It was actually much faster on my old PC.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much!

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2 [ 202001311240-2d026470 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 32
Processor speed: 4,2 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 32682,3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32682,3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 3315,1 MB (10,1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3589,8 MB
GDI objects count: 836
USER objects count: 2816
Process handles count: 1996
Memory cache size: 3,8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.2 [ 384 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1118MB / 16341MB (6%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1119MB / 32682MB (3%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (26.21.14.4219)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

I did a new reinstall of LR without any settings imported.

Then I configered the settings like I want them again from grund on.

That was the solution.

The problem seemed to be coming from the configuration settings from the old computer....

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Scrolling in the library takes 3 sec or more per photo to load"

Is that in grid view (many thumbnails showing) or Loupe view (one photo showing)?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back

Loupe view (one photo showing)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser to see the images.]

Some initial troubleshooting steps:

1. If Task Manager shows LR using more than 10% CPU even while you're not using it, it could be generating previews in background or doing face recognition. Click on the LR identity plate in the upper-left corner to see what it might be doing:

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 12.14.37 PM.png

2. Sometimes LR generates previews in background without showing a progress bar, and it might be doing this especially after a new or transferred catalog. 1:1 previews won't speed up the intial Loupe view or Grid view -- it can sometimes improve the quality of Loupe previews, and it will speed up Loupe when you zoom in on the photo.

To ensure LR has generated all previews, go to All Photographs, do Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks, select all photos, and do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized Previews. (This won't discard any 1:1 previews that have beeen previously built).  Then wait, possibly overnight if you have a large catalog, until it completes.

3. "DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (26.21.14.4219)". That driver version looks like it's from February, and there are newer drivers out.  (I think -- NVIDIA and AMD frustratingly use two different version numberings, one internal and one on their Web sites.)  Go to nvidia.com and ensure you have the latest drivers.

4. Temporarily try setting Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Process to Off. You have a 4K display, so the GPU could actually be useful, but it would be good to know if the GPU is the proxmiate cause of the issue.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I rebuilt all previews and swittched the GPU on and off. no change still every very slow. I also stpped all cloud and local NAS backup, no change. All previews are on an SSD, and Lightroom on a different SSD.

I cannot understaind that....

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size were the 1:1 previews you built? With a 4K monitor, you'd want the largest 1:1 previews (largest in pixels) that Lightroom can build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it has been awhile since your original post, so the available GPU drivers have moved on, 

so, first things first. You should have a NVIDIA utility installed called GeForce Experience. Use that to check for and update your GPU driver. A fresh new one probably came out this week< if for nothing else, to support a Windows 10 update working its way to us (warning, apparently the WIN 10 upgrade is buggy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a new reinstall of LR without any settings imported.

Then I configered the settings like I want them again from grund on.

That was the solution.

The problem seemed to be coming from the configuration settings from the old computer....

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next up, in case you have not accomplished the following. As you have aa NVIDIA GPU

see: https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

note, this increases power usage. may not treat laptops nicely, for desktops make sure cooling is behaving (no dust bunnys)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, as to not make an assumption, with same cautions as above, see tip 8 in:

https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hi,

I'd love to know how you extracted all the info listed in your initial post.... is there a software app? the reason I ask is because I'm having the same issues now.

thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines