• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic fails to read gps data

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to use the Pentax O-GPS1 to add gps data to my Pentax 645z files. I shoot .dng camera captures & process in Lightroom.

LR has always processed the .dng's just fine, but now when I am tring to add gps data it doesn't seem to read it as embedded in the files. LR dsplays EXIF fields "GPS" and "Altitude" blank, while it does record correct data in the "Direction" field.

The camera shows that gps is functional - it "calibrates" successfully & gps data lamp on the O-GPS1 is lit. Camera also shows "Electronic Compass" is functioning (and it is - this is where LR gets data for the "Direction" field).

This is the second O-GPS1 unit I have tried - both seem to be working, but LR doesn't display any gps data from either. I don't think the problem is the camera, since it displays GPS status as enabled.

Anyone have any hints as to how I can fix this problem?

Thanks,

John

Using LR Classic 9.2 on Mac w/High Sierra OS, reading camera-generated .dng raw captures from Pentax 645z, firmware 1.3.0

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further info - BTW, this issue is specific to the 645z files. I also shoot with Canon 5D Mark IV, and gps data from those files always shows up, no problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting steps:

1. You may have imported the files with an Import metadata preset that is clearing the GPS fields. In the Import window's right column in the Apply During Import panel, make sure that Metadata is set to None. If that solves the problem, then edit the preset that you had been using and make sure that the checkbox to the right of the GPS field is unchecked.

2. If step 1 doesn't help, upload one of the files to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We can verify that it contains GPS coordinates conforming to the industry standard and, if so, why LR isn't reading them.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Solved! Yes, indeed a metadat preset caused the issue (I had intended it to simply add copyright info, but it was wiping gps field as well). Found a good step-by-step here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-cc-not-seeing-gps-location-data/t....

Thanks, johnrellis for your response also.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines