• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic files transfer

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out of space on my MacBook Air. Since I have virtually nothing on it, I'm assuming it's the Lightroom previews. I've looked up how to move it to an external hard drive, but it doesn't look correct. Can you help me please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Delete the CatalogName Previews.lrdata folder with LrC Closed and the next time you start LrC it will recreate that folder.

Then as you View images, either in the Thumbnail, Grid view area or in the Loupe view area, a New preview file will be created for that (those) images only.

I regularly delete the previews folder to free up space.

No you can move just that folder. LrC needs it to be in the Same folder as the working catalog file.

You can move the whole top level folder the catalog file is in to the external but that external drive need to attached everytime you start LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's me. Are there typos or things deleted from these instructions? I don't totally understand. And I don't want to mess it up.

"You can move the whole top level folder the catalog file is in to the external but that external drive need to attached everytime you start LrC."

I want to move everything to the external drive. By the way, will this slow up the functionality? 

Are the previews different from the catalogs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The instruction were to Delete the folder that has the Catalog name (more than likely Lightroom Catalog) followed by the word Previews with the file extension of (DOT/Period) .lrdata.

The rest was "You can NOT move just the Previews folder. It has to be in the same folder the catalog file is in.

But you can move the parent folder, along with all the subfolders inside that parent folder and the LrC Catalog file, which is also in that parent folder, to an External hard drive.

Start with deleting the Previews.lrdata folder and see how much space you now have on you internal drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines