• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic freezes when editing in Develop mode - windows 10 machine

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past couple of weeks I have had this problem that Lightroom Classic freezes while working on an image - I get a spinning cursor by the 'done' button and if I select another image from the strip the previous image remains in the work area but the newly selected one is in the preview box top left of the screen - my only option is to restart LR which will then allow me to start on the next image but will freeze again usually just before I export the image.

I'm running version 9.3 of LR on a PC with Windows 10 Pro version 2004  installed on SSD boot drive.

Images are on an external mSata SSD connected via USB3. Intel Core i5-6500 with 16gb ram.

There is a graphics card installed but GPU is set to off as it's low spec (Nvidia 310).

I've tried dropping to version 9.21 still the same, tried optimising catalog, new catalog and full uninstall and re-install to no effect.

Since I rebuilt the PC in December it's worked fine and as fast as I need - the problem seemed to start when I removed a trial installation of Luminar.

As a side note I also run same version of LR on an old MacMini 2011 with a Core2 chip and 8gb of ram and don't have any problems with that at all - go figure 😉

Any help will be much appreciated

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one have any help on this?

I looked through some other posts and tried the solution to set Use Autobahn to false but that seemed to make the issue worse.

Today for example - I started to crop a raw image as I dragged the grab handle to crop the bottom of the image as I slid the frame upwards it stopped part way and the cursor started spinning by the Done button - meanwhile to preview image in the top left of the Develop page showed the full extent of the crop I'd made without a problem - it's just the main window that freezes.

Once the cursor starts spinning the only thing I can do is close Lightroom and open it again

Looked at the crash log and this is the header detail

Fault bucket 2128171860095883564, type 5
Event Name: D3DDRED2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to spend a little more time on the problem today - I looked online for the message in the crash log to try and find what it meant - there was little info but what there was seemed to suggest it was something to do with Nvidia drivers - games players were reporting similar messages.

As a trial I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers for the graphics card, removed any remaining Nvidia apps and then reverted to the windows driver for the NV310 card - I restarted the PC and tried Lightroom again and this time it allowed me to edit the raw image it had crashed on earlier - I was able to make a lot of edits and export the result with no issue.

Another odd thing is that when using the windows drivers for the graphics card both Lightroom and Photoshop are happy to run with GPU acceleration switched on whereas with the Nvidia drivers I got the message the acceleration had stopped because of an error.

I'm using a 2 monitor setup and at the moment one is into the video card and the other uses the intel built in video - I'm going to see what happens if I run both monitors off the graphics card when I can find my other HDMI to display port adapter.

Thanks again to anyone who has looked at my problem and/or offered solutions - they are much appreciated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure but it could be a hardware problem. You could try a re-install. Start by uninstalling. Download and run the Adobe CC Cleaner tool selecting LrC from the list of apps. That should remove any remnants left behind. Then re-install from Creative Cloud desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your suggestion - I had already tried that with no change

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC freeze because your system is to Busy to allow it to work properly.

Try shiutting down other programs and free upm system resources then Test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion - apart from anti-virus there are no other programs running - I'm a real meanie in terms of switching off programs that auto start with windows - when the crash has happened my processer has been well under 50% utilised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into the system Power Management program, Power Options found in Control Panel, and set it to Max Power then to the Advanced settings and make sure nothing is making the CPU, and other components, run at a lower power use level (Make it True Max Power use). Then test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a later reply the OP states rig uses low vltage CPU. This may be a power option not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response - I did try resetting preferences and the library but it had no effect on the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Pro version 2004

and

there was little info but what there was seemed to suggest it was something to do with Nvidia drivers 

Did you intentionally force the Windows upgrade to v 2004, or did you get that automatically. As you have a NVIDIA GPU, and as MS specifically states they have issues v2004 vs NVIDIA drivers, I am curious as to the process that got you to v2004.

That being said, have you tried updating the GPU driver using the Custom install option as to install a clean install?  via the NVIDIA GeForce Experience application.

NV310 card

Yikes, that card is something like:

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Multi-Display-Professional-VCNVS310DP-PB/dp/B008B6ONWQ

I do not see that card ever ever working in v2004.

And very useless as to performance in LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David

Thanks for your response.

The HP NV310 card is one that was provided as an option with this PC, I added it because it allowed me to use a 2 monitor setup. The PC is a SFF device with a low wattage PSU so a lot of other GPUs at the time required more power than the PSU can provide. The HP version has more RAM than the PNY version you linked to.

Having said that the card works absolutely fine and has done since I put the machine together at the end of last year - the only problem I've experienced is the one described in my first post - for the first 6 months of using LR on this PC it worked fast, smoothly and consistently it was only towards the end of June when the problem started to occur.

I did force the upgrade to version 2004 - and ran the compatibility check before doing so which didn't list any issues with any of my hardware - I don't spend much time trawling support sites but although some people have had issues with the new version of windows I've not seen any issues reported with Nvidia cards - I've actually upgraded 6+ PCs to the new version and had no issues with it's use at all.

Thanks for your input though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a link to that compatibility check? For Windows 10 v2004.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you use the download tool from Microsoft it runs the test before windows installs - and comes up with a message to say if hardware is ok.

I had a look into the reports about Nvidia and ver 2004 - looks like it only effects older version drivers - when I had their drivers installed it was the latest version I'd installed of their website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines