• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic has problem reading catalog and shuts down.

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok my almost 1 year old Samsung Notebook 9 Pro laptop only has USB-C ports. The drive that holds my images and my Lightroom Catalog is standard Western Digital drive with a USB-A type connector as are all my other external drives (except my newly acquired Samsung SSD which I plan to move everything over to eventually). Anyway, after I've been in the app for a while it will sometimes, (almost always if I'm in it for a long while say 30 minutes or more) give me the error that Lightroom had problems reading the catalog and must quit (I am paraphrasing a bit). Then when I restart Lightroom will of course automatically verify the catalog integrity. I really think this is being caused the adapter I am using to interace the WD HDD with the USB-C ports. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more secure connector?

I finding that I am not liking the USB-C ports as they don't appear to be very solid connections. Am I alone in my dislike for the USB-C ports?

usb-a_to_usb-c_012946.jpgusb-a_to_usb-c_012347.jpg

Everytime I move the drive just a little bit it will lose connection. The same thing happens with USB-A flash drives because I have to use the adapter on them too. About the only time it doesn't happen a lot is when I use the Samsung multi-adapter port I purchased which has a couple of regular USB-A ports, a HDMI port, an Ethernet port and a Power Delivery (PD) port that allows me to plug the AC adapter into it for maintaining a charge.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you buy a proper USB A-C cable? No need to use this wobbly adapter.

Thor Egil Leirtrø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you buy a proper USB A-C cable? No need to use this wobbly adapter.

A little gentler response would have been nice something like "maybe you could try using a USB-A to USB-C cable". However, doesn't the USB-C end of the cable still have the same problem of maintaining a solid connection to the computers port?

Frankly, the answer to your response in NO. I already thought of using an A to C cable but for the following reasons I opted NOT to go with using another cable. The issue with using a cable is that the external hd already has a cable so I'd be attaching a cable to to cable adding more lenght to manage. Typically I'm using the laptop I have limited table top space so managing cables and cords becomes an issue.

My question was basically, and maybe I didn't make it clear, is if anyone had discovered a more secure connector.

Thank you for resonding.

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if my response came across as unfriendly. That was not my intention.

If you HD has a non detachable cable the only option would be an adapter. No way around that.

Thor Egil Leirtrø
Freelance concert photographer - thoregilphoto.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use an Adapter Cable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the USB C style. I have no problems with it. But then I have cables that are A>C (or C>A).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious, do you use desktop or laptop? I can see that using a desktop rather than a laptop would add stability to the connection. But as I said in my answer to Thor "Typically I'm using the laptop I have limited table top space so managing cables and cords becomes an issue."

I do appreciate your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both desktop and notebook and have a iMac all in one too.

I have never used any type of adapter that did not have a cable of some type. Whether that be 2-3 inches or longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, assuming Windows OS.

An issue may be occuring with external devices connected to a USB port. The USB port could be going into power save.

You may need to bring up Windows device manager, scroll down to USB, look at each one, some will include a Power setting tab. Adjust so that it does not go into power save, or whatever it is called.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-usb-hub-power-management/b266c0f2-5e...

ahh, better link:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-software/How-to-Disable-USB-Selective-Suspend-1190/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I forgot to say I use Windows 10. Yes, I am aware of the USB Power Setting. I had to disable it on my desktop a while back because I kept losing power to my USB mouse and keyboard but that turned out not to be the problem. I could not find such a setting on this Samsung laptop. I ended up having to go into device manager and disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device" properties settings for each and every USB hub

However, as with the desktop I am not entirely convinced the power setting is the issue. Only time will tell. I still think that most of the issue is caused by the relatively loose connection between the A to C USB adapter and type C port at the laptop and I think it would exist no matter whether I used an A to C cable or an A to C adapter. Whenever the HD, the cable or the computer is moved I can see the movement of the adapter at the computer. I am sorry if it sounds like I'm being argumentative.

Anyway, thanks for all the information. I really do appreciate it.

Happy Fathers Day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a short (about 4 inches long) usbc to usba adapter Cable and it works well.  The adapters like you have put a LOT of leverage on the computer port whereas the cable eliminates most of the leverage and makes it less likely you will damage the port.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you get such a short cable? The cable that comes with the drive is 1.5' long. That is way too long! Does anyone make a short micro B to type C cord? I could only find them about 3' long.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, these worked great! I like that they come in silver and black and they are super flexible so the length is a non-issue. Awesome find, thank you, thank you.

Best Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found those little adapters very iffy. I'm not sure what is available for your machine, but for my MacBook, I use the Apple branded dongle adapter.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@KR_Seals,

The suggestion by @Bob_Somrak above your post was just the ticket. Thanks for responding,

Stay Well and Best Regards,

GEGJr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines