• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic how to ADD and external HD in addition to existing HD

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for help in regards to an extra external to add to Lightroom.

I have all images on an external HD and i copied all those images onto a new HD. In order to use them via lightroom, and using with the same catalog, do i need to import them via lightroom ?

I`m not looking to move anything, and i`m not looking to rename a volume.

I don`t find any link. Most discussions are about moving images.

My aim is to be using both via Lightroom. 

If i add the name of the new HD and ask to synchronise the folders, it is asking me to import. Is this the correct way of doing it ?

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to achieve. If the images are already on an external drive, why have you copied them to another drive that you want to add to Lightroom? Having the images copied onto separate drives is good from a backup perspective, but you really don't want those copies to be added to Lightroom an addition to the originals. That would be chaotic.

If you are wanting to use the new drive IN PLACE OF the current drive, that's is very easy to do....but I'm not sure that is what you're trying to do. So can you clarify your objective and I'm sure we'll then be able to help? In the meantime I suggest you don't do anything such as importing or synchronising folders until we figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have this new HD as a back-up to leave in germany with my sister. So i would like to be able to use this new external, but i don`t understand, how i can see those images in Lightroom with all the edits made, if it`s not connected to Lightroom ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ute_G.there was a long thread that you started here where all of this was discussed.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-back-up-photos-from-one-external-...

You obviously didn't understand the answers given. So, to be brief:

1. It is not a good idea to plan uses for your backups. The only ONLY ONLY use for your backups should be if something bad happens to your originals, then you use the backups. Otherwise, just let the backups sit there, unused, forever (hopefully) unless something bad happens.
  2. If you ever want to point Lightroom Classic to use the photos on the other hard disk, which should be an identical exact copy, then you can use the methods of "Find Missing Folder" or "Update Folder Location" explained at http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm
  3. Importing or synchronizing photos is the WRONG thing to do. 100% WRONG. This is so important, I am going to say it three more times.

Importing or synchronizing photos is the WRONG thing to do. 100% WRONG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige thanks you for your answer.  so i`m correct to have a copy of my images on a new external as a back -up. But how do i use it if necessary ? Do i back-up the catalog on that external ? I understand what you say about not importing or synchronising, but i still don`t see how to use it in case i need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The instructions I linked to explain in great detail, with screen captures, how to use copies of your photos on a different disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably understand all this, but your images are not in the catalog. Your images are in folders on your hard drive or on external hard drives connected to your computer. The catalog is a database that keeps track of where the images are located as well as all the work you have performed using Lightroom. It contains the collections, keywords, and all the organizing that you have performed using Lightroom. It is the heart of your Lightroom work. It is critical that you maintain backups of that catalog as well as backups of your working images. Backing up the catalog does NOT back up the images. Those are separate operations. If you back up the file structure of your images to the external hard drive, organized the same way you are using it on your computer, and you backup the catalog to that external hard drive as well, then if your main hard drive crashes and you rebuild it and restore your catalog and your image collection then you can simply begin using everything again as it was before.

Another approach would be to have all of your image files on one external hard drive, and have another external hard drive as a backup that is an exact copy of the other external. And that external hard drive could also be where you store your catalog backups. In that instance, the running catalog could actually exist on the main hard drive.

There are numerous ways to configure things. These are only a couple of suggestions. There is no ONE right or wrong way to do it. DJ will probably disagree with my suggestions, and you may or may not feel inclined to consider mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines