• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic. How to assign color system or icc profile when exporting image file

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for any help with this issue.

My offsite print service is telling me the image file has no icc profile.

Where do they look for an Icc profile, and where can I validate that it is part of the exported file?

I'm using Lightroom Classic. Color Calibrated Screen.

Exporting files for my offsite printer service.

Saving as JPG, or Tiff and assigning SRGB or Adobe RGB in menu for Export.

When I look at Image's properties under Details, the Color Representation says uncalibrated.

Should SRGB or Adobe RGB be listed there? If not, where? How is the print lab supposed to know which color profile to use?

And...If I output in Print module, I can select an ICC profile if I was using MY printer, or I can choose print to JPG and choose SRGB, ADOBE RGB -and 1 color calibration profile is listed. No matter what I choose same issue. Nothing in properties to let me know which profile or color space was used.

Same issue with photoshop....

A

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR simply can't export an image without an embedded profile so your printer is making an iffy statement unless, as you perhaps upload, the profile is being stripped out. 

What OS? 

Got Photoshop? You can open the image there and it can tell you what the embedded profile is. Just go into Assign Profile command, it will list the embedded profile. 

On the Mac at least, you can get this info from the Finder (Get Info). 

Maybe you can post a screen capture of your Export dialog used in LR for this image. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Thank you. 

Photoshop says Adobe RGB which matches my camera, my PShop profile.

Here is a revised question.

Color Space of export Tiff file.

1. Camera set to Adobe RGB, Lightroom set to Adobe RGB
  2. I exported from Lightroom in TIFF with Adobe RGB selected. 
  3. After Export, I right click the image to open the Properties.
  4.  In Details tab, Color Representation says Uncalibrated. No color space indicated. 
  5. JPGs usually work correctly. Exception is Lightroom Printer.
  6. Question. Should Color Representation be blank or say Adobe RGB with Tiff files?

Color Space of exported JPG from Lightroom print Module.

1. in Print Module,
  2.  Print Job tab
  3. Select Print to: JPG file
  4. Color Management tab: I chose a Screen Calibration Profile.
  5. Print to File
  6. Right click output image.
  7. Select Properties.
  8. Select Details.
  9. Color Representation is Blank

Question 1: Should it state the color space of the profile?

Question 2: Is this the correct way to assign an Icc profile for  an outside printer? (I'm assumming that my screen calibration icc profile will embed the color space for the print lab )

Question 3: Should there be a way to validate the icc screen profile is attached to the image file?

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF Photoshop says it's Adobe RGB (1998), it's Adobe RGB (1998). And that's because it's how you exported it, not necessarily anything to do with the camera. Despite what 'Properties' may say. 

The image has been converted and then assigned that color space. 

What did the lab want from you? Did they even provide a printer profile? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your suggestions. I did open a variety of saved images and now understandhow assign profile works. I think.

This is a screen shot of why I was originally confused.  Several labs got this file and either printed in srgb or got a kick back saying..no icc profile (which I am guessing means no color space)Screenshot (35).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So follow up question..

When sending Tiff files with Color Representation listed as  Uncalibrated-even though I saved it as Adobe RGB, the printers don't often open in photoshop, they use their internal software. And am getting the no color space push back or the lab guesses srgb and I get bad prints.

Looks like Tiff output has a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next. I am not sending paper or printer level icc profiles yet.

Soooo-Does embedding my screen calibration icc profile do anything to ensure printing is done properly, or is that using an inappropriate ICC profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RGB Working Space embedded, NEVER a display profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"When sending Tiff files with Color Representation listed as  Uncalibrated-even though I saved it as Adobe RGB, the printers don't often open in photoshop, they use their internal software."

IF they have a clue, if their software is color managed, you're all set. There is an embedded profile describing the image in it's current Working Space (Adobe RGB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, first I'm a Mac guy so what those properties state isn't something I can comment on. 

What Photoshop tells you (like to see that screen capture) is something you can bank on.

Now depending on the upload, it isn't at all impossible that a profile can be stripped from an image (although it's EXIF data is still useful). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines