• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Import Issues

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a lightroom CC user for about six months and decided to shift to Lightroom Classic to avoid cloud storage issues in the future. I have all my photos (about 350Gb) stored on the OneDrive cloud with an image on my C-drive to save space on that 1Tb drive. I have a larger 2Tb secondary drive (E) where I also copied all my photo files. My plan was to keep the files on the C drive untouched and use the files on the E-drive for lightroom manipulation. I realize it’s not optimal but I have the space right now.

After loading Lightroom Classic I tried to import the photos on the E-drive. A dialog box indicated I had 48K photos, which I estimate is at least twice (possibly three times) what I actually have. I started the import process anyway. Lightroom recognized both drives and started to download both. When my C-drive got to within 100Gb of full (due to downloading the OneDrive stored photos) I stopped the process, rebooted the computer and cleaned up the C-drive. I then tried to remove the (C-drive) photo file from lightroom. Then tried to import again from the E-drive. This time many of the E-drive photos were cataloged in lightroom, though around 20 files do not appear, BUT all the C-drive photo files again returned. The computer locked up and I had to reboot again. This time I tried to import E-drive photos again, however over the past two days over 9K photos have downloaded again, from the C-drive. Now I’m showing multiple identical photo files in the catalog on the C-drive, but the missing folders on the E-drive have not appeared.

I’m quite frustrated now and ready to either:
1 - look for another program (ditch lightroom entirely); or,
2 – buy a new computer with a larger memory so lightroom can do what it wants to do (not seriously).

All I want to do is to be able to use lightroom to manipulate my photo files on my E-drive without having ten times the number of photos I actually have eating up all my memory. Any ideas on how to get there from here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing using the ADD option?

It's hard to say what is happening, can you show us a screen capture of the entire Import dialog box when you try to import from the E drive?

To keep things clear from now on, can you also use the word "import" or "imported" instead of "download"?

2 – buy a new computer with a larger memory

Just to be 100% clear, this is a disk space issue and not a memory issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the Add option. Sorry about the confusion regarding import vs download. I kept getting a "download" dialog box indicating lightroom.exe is downloading from One Drive, which I don't think should be happening if Lightroom is only looking at the E-drive. 

I can't see how to attach a screen capture of the import dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is necessary to be using your computer and browser to add a screenshot. Create the screenshot from a JPEG or PNG file. Then, using the tools at the top of the message you are creating, just click on the appropriate icon to add your image.

Annotation 2020-07-02 144948.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have somehow Linked a folder or a drive that is also syncing with your One Drive Account. you need to stop doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There really isn't a need to keep two copies of your images, one copy to be "untouched" and another copy for "editing" because LrC doesn't apply any changes directly to the images. Your images are always left their untouched pristine condition they were in when they were downloaded. The changes are all stored in the catalog. It is, however, a good idea to store a copy of all images in a safe backup. The backup doesn't have to be in the same file structure that you are using in LrC, but it is essential that you have a backup of your images stored on a separate drive or own a reliable cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I understand that LrC doesn't change the image. My original intent was to have my "secure" storage based from the C-drive, then have the images copied on the E-drive to use with lightroom Classic or to copy/manipulate in any way. That way I know the originals are safe. Disk space or memory are not really a problem now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines