• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic is BROKEN under M1 Macs with Rosetta. BEWARE!

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
I'v just installed LR Classic on my M1 Macbook pro with 8G/256GB, and LR is completely broken.
It works, blazing fast, but as fast it's destroying my SSD.
It wrote arround 100GB of data in 15 minutes.

I have uploaded this video showing the nonsense. When culling a folder with around 1800 photos it wrote 7GB of data to the SSD in 30 seconds.

https://youtu.be/FWzdGvPWLfU

There's no way these SSD's will survive this. 
Adobe need to do something ASAP!
Until it's fixed I will need to go back to my Intel MBP 2017.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think is has anything to do with that Mac only having 8GBs of RAM?

I do. Both the OS and LrC has to constantly write to the hard drive swap file.

This has nothing to do with LrC. It is your choice of the amount of RAM that computer has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really think it's a bug. I run on my mpb late 2017 with 8gb and 128ssd without issues (besides beeing slow), we know that LR is RAM hungry, but there's no reason to write 100gb of data into ssd in 1hr...
My previews were already created, it should be accessing there, not writing to disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the cause, but I doubt it's purely a swap file issue based on RAM. If it was about that, that would imply the application is wanting 7GB to 100GB more RAM, and that does not seem plausible.

One thing to try: Go ito the folder containing the Lightroom Classic catalog, and look at the size of the previews file for that catalog. Does it correlate with the amount of space written? If so, then it was writing previews for the 1800 images. One way to test that is to throw out the previews file, return to culling, but leave that folder open to see if the previews file grows as you cull, proportionate to the writes reported by the system.

Also, if this is a reproducible problem specific to Lightroom Classic, you should not be the only one seeing it. Check the official Lightroom Classic feedback site for other reports of this, if they exist, and possible solutions. If you do not find any more user reports of this there, it could be either an isolated case that needs more troubleshooting (which means you’d want to start a new report there), or it mght not be about Lightroom Classic. There don’t seem to be others reporting the same problem here, though, which is why I wonder what the real cause is.

Also, I just saw that macOS 11.1 is out, so in case this is a macOS bug you could run the update and see if it gets any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the last version 10 and 10.1 too all software in my computer stop working and computer crashes iMac 2020 128GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should start your own conversation. Your problem has nothing to do with the topic this conversation is about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep!
I don't think it's swap related. Could be a bug with the LR GPU memory, as in the settings it's stated that currently has 5.5gb allocated.
My previews (standard, medium, 1680px) were already created.
I have created a topic in the forum you linked here and maybe other's with M1 macs can look into it as well, so we know it's me or the software.

I will update OSX and test later...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LrC, in /preferences/performance/  how large are you allowing the Camera RAW CACHE to get?

And where are you placing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the standard 5GB and located in my main ssd (standard location), maybe tweak to 20gb or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Default is too low, always has been, try more like 50gb.

But was winering if your drive space spike related to a larger value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines