Highlighted

Lightroom classic is running so slow it is almost unusable

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom since version 1.0. I am up to date with my updates on the current classic CC. It has been running so slow for the last several months it is bordering on totally unusable. When I open it takes minutes to load. Every click on the import process, from import, to selecting the drive, to selecting the folder (both for cards and already-uploaded on RAID on USB-C connection), takes 3-6 minutes. I often get the whited out scren and Lightroom is not responding message before it comes back again. 

I am running it on a I7-3770k processor, Nvidia GXO1060,, 32GB RAM, with the catalog on its own SSD. I start the new year with new catalogs for my commercial and news photography, so the catalog have hardly any photos in them. The photos are from a D4 and D810. I regularly optimize the catalog. I do not have an enormous number of presents.. I've done nearly every step on the optimization web page. Help????

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom classic is running so slow it is almost unusable

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Lightroom since version 1.0. I am up to date with my updates on the current classic CC. It has been running so slow for the last several months it is bordering on totally unusable. When I open it takes minutes to load. Every click on the import process, from import, to selecting the drive, to selecting the folder (both for cards and already-uploaded on RAID on USB-C connection), takes 3-6 minutes. I often get the whited out scren and Lightroom is not responding message before it comes back again. 

I am running it on a I7-3770k processor, Nvidia GXO1060,, 32GB RAM, with the catalog on its own SSD. I start the new year with new catalogs for my commercial and news photography, so the catalog have hardly any photos in them. The photos are from a D4 and D810. I regularly optimize the catalog. I do not have an enormous number of presents.. I've done nearly every step on the optimization web page. Help????

TOPICS
Bug, Crash or freeze, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 12, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are sorry about the experience with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind sharing the version of Windows you are using?

Would you mind checking the below mentioned details and performing the steps to check if it helps?

1. Go to Preferences > Performance and increase the Camera Raw Cache size to 10.0GB or more.
  2. On the same tab, check the option to Use Smart Previews instead of Original for image editing and uncheck the option to Generate Previews in Parallel.
  3. On the Performance tab itself, select off from the drop down for Use Graphic Processor
  4. Go to the General tab and check the box to Replace Embedded previews by standard previews during idle time.

Once you have made the above-mentioned changes, quit and relaunch Lightroom Classic prior to testing the application.

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a Logitech mouse or keyboard, and if so, have you installed Logitech Options?

This program installs a Lightroom plugin, which is known to cause Lightroom to take a long time to load, and possibly also other problems.

The plugin can be disabled by going to File > Plugin manager.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do indeed have a Logitech mouse and the software, but no plugin is appearing in the plugin manager. Do you think it could be an issue with On1 plugins? Or Smugmug?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you’re running any anti-virus or anti-malware software, try temporarily disabling it and see if Lightroom Classic runs at a normal speed. If it does, try excluding Lightroom Classic folders from that software. Lightroom Classic definitely shouldn’t run so slow on a system that powerful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know if you accomplished the followin, perhaps, but I will present these anyhow.

1. As you are using a NVIDIA GPU, see:

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

2. GPU driver, even if up to date, reinstall, but accomplisg a ckean install, fir NVIDIA, via custom install.

3. As you are apparently running Windows, see the following article, with eemphasis on tip 8  (Power settings)

https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

Note, Windows updates may chang that setting.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another front, consider if the current catalog has issues. Your older catalogs, do they behave better, a new catalog, does it behave better?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2020 0