Highlighted

lightroom Classic on the road

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I need some help. I'm away from home (struck abroad) and am traveling with a backup of my library and main home catalog on an external HD. The issue is this catalog is formatted to link all of my photos in collections to a different version of that file (the file in my main home - non-transportable drive). Therefore, lightroom mobile isn't syncing correctly and my whole workflow is a mess.

Can someone teach me how to point the computer to the correct files, please? 

Thanks in advance, 

Ginger 

Topics

How to, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

lightroom Classic on the road

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

I need some help. I'm away from home (struck abroad) and am traveling with a backup of my library and main home catalog on an external HD. The issue is this catalog is formatted to link all of my photos in collections to a different version of that file (the file in my main home - non-transportable drive). Therefore, lightroom mobile isn't syncing correctly and my whole workflow is a mess.

Can someone teach me how to point the computer to the correct files, please? 

Thanks in advance, 

Ginger 

Topics

How to, Sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 13, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm not understanding. Lightroom Mobile isn't going to sync to anything but the cloud images. As far as Lightroom Classic is concerned, I think that is synchronized to your computer at home. I don't believe you can synchronize it to Lightroom Classic on a different laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 13, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think I'm explaining myself well. My external HD has a backup copy of my home catalog that I use with my desktop. 

Problem 1:

I open that catalog and the files it usually sees through my main drive are grey because my main drive is not with me. It only sees the files (the exact same files in the exact same hierarchy) that are on my backup drive. 

Problem 2:

In my shared collections (the folders I've chosen to share online so that I have access to those files in Lightroom mobile) are linked to the files in my home external HD, therefore, I only have previews of them available online although I have the exact files in my secondary (on tour) HD. 

Problem 3: When I try to locate the file and point the computer to the available file it tells me it cannot link a file to two sources at once. 

This is creating a myriad of issues... 

I hope this makes more sense. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem 1:
Did you use the option to update the location of the folders so that Lightroom is pointing to the folders on your external hard drive?

Problem 2:
I don't think it's possible to link to two different sources. Your catalog at home is the one that is linked to the cloud. I don't think you can link another catalog just because you are mobile right now. You would have to log on to Lightroom Mobile and edit images that are already there, or upload originals using either Lightroom Desktop or your phone.

Problem 3:
Someone else is going to have to help you with this one. I just think you're trying to do more than this set up is designed to do. But maybe I'm not following your workflow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am just going to provide a couple hints and you can use them to figure out how is the best way to work with what available.

1. Lightroom Classic can only sync one Catalog file to your Creative Cloud a/c at any point in time so if your Home computer is synced and in use that' it.

2. If you have Lightroom Classic then you you would also have access to Lightroom (cloud-based) desktop app you should be able to login to you Adobe Creative Desk top app and download the LR (cloud-based) application. You will then be able to sync with the Collections that have been synced from your desktop. This would allow you to work with the uploaded smart previews in the cloud.

3. You cannot sync Lightroom Classic on two computers at the same time.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.4, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 0
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"traveling with a backup of my library and main home catalog on an external HD"

Unless there's a communication problem here this is pretty basic stuff!

The name of the external drive is differerent than your home computer (Perhaps C: and D:) In LR right click on the highest level folder and select 'Update Folder Location.' Navigate to the same folder on your external drive and select it. The files should now all be relinked. When you get home you will need to replace the current catalog on your home computer with the catalog file used in the field on your laptop. I suggest making a backup copy of both catalog files as a safety measure! You will also need to copy over ALL files you may have added in the field to the exact same folder location on your home computer. You can do this using a file synchronization app such as FreeFileSync.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 15, 2020 1