• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic only shows image in low res preview. How do I get high res view on screen?

Advocate ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded my computer to a newer Mac running Catalina and have been using Lightroom Classic all along but right away, the behavior seems much different. My biggest issue is that in Library view what used to be was that images that were looked at closer and even 2:1 or more were first seen in preview mode but quickly changed to high res so I could see which images I wanted to select for further editing. With my install of Lightroom Classic, latest version CC, the image shows in low res only and never changes to high res so I can examine what the file has to offer for clarity and sharpness. I've been through preferences and have missed if there is a setting to go back to the old behavior I am used to seeing with images showing at high res. Can you help me fixt this or is it possible with Lightroom Classic running in OS Catalina?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Since I was on a new computer, and uploading from external hard drives I could see that two processes were taking place and that previews had not completed uploading into Lightroom while I was trying to view images. My error in understanding how Lightroom works. Everyone here was on the right path to question exactly as you have. My thanks to each who responded here for the great help you do provide on these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shots of what you are seeing would help.

What EXACT type of files are you importing?

Are you using Smart Previews at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that in Library, Loupe View you cannot enlarge the display to 1:1? If you can display 1:1,  that is a full resolution jpg that LrC has made from your original plus the default processing (or altered processing if changes have been made). It may take some time until that new high res preview is ready, but the process can be speeded up by checking the box on the Import to prepare high res (1:1) previews ahead of time. This will bring up the 1:1 more quickly, but because you are making them for all images and not just as required, they can soon occupy a significant amount of disc space unless you have set in preferences the instruction to discard after a set amount of time.

Or do you mean that you think that instead of making a new and separate high res preview LrC is merely upscaling the existing small preview when 1:1 is called for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 29, 2020 Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I was on a new computer, and uploading from external hard drives I could see that two processes were taking place and that previews had not completed uploading into Lightroom while I was trying to view images. My error in understanding how Lightroom works. Everyone here was on the right path to question exactly as you have. My thanks to each who responded here for the great help you do provide on these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Walk us thru your workflow for onee image. steps taken to get to the view you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines