Highlighted

Lightroom Classic Pauses and Display Temporarily Goes Black in Develop, MacBook Pro 16"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, say the last two versions of Lightroom Classic CC, I've had an issue where the app will pause briefly, and then the display goes off for a second or two when switching to Develop or rejecting a photo in Library review.  It's as if the graphics card is crashing and restarting.  I've adjusted settings from automatic to custom and back, and I'm still experiencing this issue.  I've even had it occur when opening a photo into Photoshop. 

I'm using a 2019 MacBookPro 16", equipt with a Radeon Pro 5500M - 8GB graphics card.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

{Thread moved to the Lightroom Classic board from Lightroom by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom Classic Pauses and Display Temporarily Goes Black in Develop, MacBook Pro 16"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently, say the last two versions of Lightroom Classic CC, I've had an issue where the app will pause briefly, and then the display goes off for a second or two when switching to Develop or rejecting a photo in Library review.  It's as if the graphics card is crashing and restarting.  I've adjusted settings from automatic to custom and back, and I'm still experiencing this issue.  I've even had it occur when opening a photo into Photoshop. 

I'm using a 2019 MacBookPro 16", equipt with a Radeon Pro 5500M - 8GB graphics card.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

{Thread moved to the Lightroom Classic board from Lightroom by moderator}

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 30, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind telling us the macOS version you are using? Do you experience the same behavior with the Graphics card disabled in Lightroom Classic?

If you have a dual graphics card setup on the MacBook, please try disabling automatic graphics switching to check if that helps. You can check the steps here: https://osxdaily.com/2017/01/08/disable-gpu-switching-macbook-pro/

Please let us know if it helps!

Regards,

Nikunj

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nikunj.

I'm using Mac OS10.15.7.  I've tried both Auto and Custom graphics in LRc, and after a conversation with Apple Support, I've disabled Graphics Switching in the Energy Saver panel.  I'll do some additional editing in Lightroom to see if that solves the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've adjusted settings from automatic to custom and back

But, in LrC, /preferences/performance/  have you turned off "Use Graphics Processor"?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I haven't turned off the Graphics Processor.  Other than troubleshooting, what would be the advantage in that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Primarily trouble shooting, to see if a GPU support issue exists. For some cards, especially if not running a 4K display, turning this on can be problematic, the older the card the more possible.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Radeon Pro 5500M, so fairly new, mid range, but not low end, and plenty of VRAM. Should not have an issue, but check anyhow.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the laptop display, or an external monitor?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the laptop display.  It's a new-ish computer, not yet a year old.  The issue only started occuring in the last several weeks.  I'll test again with the graphics processor off.  Thanks for your assistance!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue you describe occurs when the MacBook Pro switches from the Integrated GPU to the Discrete GPU. I've experienced it on occcasions with Photoshop but not Lightroom (yet). With Photoshop I found disabling the 'Home Screen' in Preferences eliminated the issue.

BTW, there are threads MacRumors covering the same issue https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-16-black-screen-when-switching-from-integrated-graphics-to-...  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/photoshop-turns-off-screen-for-1-2-seconds-when-launching-on-16...  There's also been a couple of threads on Photoshop forum, and here's one on the Apple support form https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/blank-screen-for-seconds-when-photoshop-opens/td-p/1...  

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-16-black-screen-when-switching-from-integrated-graphics-to-...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Ian.  I'll read up on it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0
GoldingD LATEST
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, good point

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

That leads me to

and that leds me to:

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT202043

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 30, 2020 0