• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Print Size Glitch

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic 8.31, Mac High Sierra, current.

So this is getting expensive. Wasting fine art paper. This is a relatively new bug -- it didn't happen until I think the last update of LR.

If I print an image that's 11 x 15 on 13 x 19 paper on my Epson 3880, and then switch to another image, set a bigger paper size in page setup, and then try printing that second image at say 15 x 20 on a 17 x 22 paper, I'll get an 11 x 15 crop of the second image, off center, on the bigger paper. I've wasted a few sheets of expensive paper with this. It wouldn't even be as bad if I got the full image at the wrong size, but I get a cropped version of the image that is just a waste of ink and paper.  I thought maybe the latest update might have fixed it, but this update is probably even worse than the last one, as other bugs will show up no doubt. I'm longing for pre creative cloud Lightroom that just worked.

I know how to print. I have printed thousands of good images with Lightroom in the past, and on this same printer for years. This is a bug that happens when I switch to a bigger paper size and bigger image after I've printed something smaller.

Lightroom has been my printing workflow for some years, and it has worked well in the past, but maybe it's time to switch to something more reliable to print.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to review this about a month old Adobe page on printing, see if anything has changed.

Print module basics for Photoshop Lightroom Classic

I noticed that in one box, the boxes appear to be warnings and notes, that for MAC OS, scaling option can foul up print size,

Also, as an update was installed, check your settings, yes I know.. but anyhow, just in case one that stayed put for years might have changed, perhaps to a new default during the update. File under shit happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not using scaling -- these are 360 dpi files that are saved to be just the size I'm printing them.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, because sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Today I worked on an image, actually a handful of different files of the same image. First one fit on letter size paper. <switched lightroom catalogs at this point> Then I switched to 13 x 19 in page setup and made a bigger print than the first one, with a different file. Then, still on 13 x 19 paper, I made a bigger print than the last one, again a different file saved to be 360dpi at that resolution. All good so far. It was when I put the more expensive 17 x 22 sheet of nice paper in <printing from same LR catalog as the 13 x 19 prints without quitting LR>, chose a file saved to 16 x 20, and then I ended up with a sub-13x19 crop of the bigger image and wasted paper and ink.

In recent days when I've had this problem I've overcome it by shutting down the printer, quitting LR, restarting the computer, and bringing everything back up. At least that time I was able to print the full image I had tried earlier without it getting cropped.

I just printed the bigger image on the bigger paper through Photoshop, and that worked fine.

I have not tried printing from Affinity Photo, but maybe that would be a good choice too, or buy a RIP. But I've relied on LR for my printing workflow for many years now, put a lot of ink and paper though with LR.

John Lehet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you solve this problem? I have the same issue printing from Lightroom Classis CC, version:Adobe Lightroom Classic [1186149]. Printing in Photoshop with same file no problem. Image cropped and printed on smaller custom size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines