Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic release 9.2 is slow during loading images

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently installed Lightroom classic ( I had Lightroom 5 before) and I noticed that is very slow when loading images. I mean it is slower than Lightroom 5!!!

This is my hardware configuration

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphic board: Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

MacOS High Sierra v. 10.13.6

Usually I work with .dng files (more or less 30 MB).

Can anyone suggest me some trick to solve this problem?

Thank you.

Claudio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to update your OS to Mojave 10.14.6? You may see an improvement in performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not, my computer is too old....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating your hardware will absolutely help you work with newer applications. Here are some guidelines from Adobe to keep in mind: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Given the choice between more RAM or a larger hard drive–go for more RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking to buy a Mac Book Pro 16" equipped with 16 GB of RAM, enhanched with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M (8GB GDDR6 memory) graphic card.

Do you think is it the right choise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at a similar configuration as well–only with  more RAM and at least 1T of local drice storage. As for what is the right choice for you I wouldn't be able to answer that. It depends on what type of work you do on a daily basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off Face Detection, Address Lookup and Sync with Lightroom.

If those don't do the trick, please explain exactly what you mean by "loading images". Which module of Lightroom? Which action in the module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried with your suggestions, but the situation doesn't change.

I try to explain better my problem. In the Library and Develop modules, when I try to enlarge my photo at 1:1 zoom level, it takes more or less 10 seconds to fix the photo. This cause me wasting time.

Thamk you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large are the photos you work with in megapixels? (I know you told me megabytes, but that is irrelevant)

Have you considered getting a faster computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At maximum my photo are 24 megapixels (I have some older ones of 40 megapixels).

In effect, I'm thinking to change my computer with a newer and faster.....can you think this can solve my problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking that the next step is to generate 1:1 previews overnight, and in the morning see if this solves the problem.

To generate 1:1 previews, you select a lot of photos (like a thousand) and before you go to bed, use the Lightroom Classic menu command Library->Previews->Build 1:1 Previews, and then let it go. In the morning, see if this problem has disappeared on those selected photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...I'll try and I let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I tried your suggestion and on those selected photos it works: I don't see anymore the problem on the selected photos.

What does it mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means that your new installation of Lightroom 9.2 didn't build 1:1 previews, which speeds up the zooming in on images. Apparently, your Lightroom 5 did build 1:1 previews.

But now you know how, so you can have 1:1 previews built on all of your photos (if you want, and if disk space permits), and you can also select to have the 1:1 previews deleted after 1 week or 1 month or never. All of these choices are under Catalog Settings. There is also a setting in the Import dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So also if I buy a newer and fastest Mac Book Pro I'm not going to solve this problem, unless I will select the 1:1 preview, or with this new PC the problem would be reduced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes and no.

A faster computer is a faster computer, it does things faster. So YES.

After you generate the 1:1 previews, you are not having the problem. So NO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are refering to Importing photos into Lightroom Classic, and you want the quickest method to get them from your SD card to Lightroom Classic, then you can try

1. Outside if Lightroom, use your OS File Manager to Copy the photos to the hard drive folder you want them in.

2. After that, when you are ready, in Lightroom Classic, set up your Import process to not create any previews, to not run any Presets, to not rename. Select Add, Import.

3. Then you can create the Library presets,and start culling (co,or grading) and move on

That method has an advantage of getting the photis from your card into Lightroom in the shortest time. But, it will increase number of steps, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i'm referring when I zoom the photos.

In any case, thank you for your suggestions!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines