• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Resizing Issue

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the newest version of Lightroom Classic on a Mac and I am trying to resize from 4320x6480 to 2550x3300... I have all the settings correct (I think) but my output is only 2200x3300 I have tried changing any setting available but it will not change the first size... HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4320x6480 does not have the same ratio as 2550x3300, but 2200x3300 does.

Are you trying to crop or simply resize?

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize. For a submission online...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resize. For a submission online...

I have submission requirements for one of my clubs. The photos must be

"They must be a maximum of 3 MB in size, and either: 1920 pixels wide and no more than 1080 pixels high OR 1080 pixels high and no more than 1920 pixels wide"

This is what my Export dialog box looks like. So, for example, if I export a 6881x4484 pixel photo with the above, I get a 1080x704 902KB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The club requirements could be written more clearly, but they do make sense, and it looks like you are probably setting it up correctly in the Export dialog box in Lightroom Classic.

@DS256 wrote:

either: 1920 pixels wide and no more than 1080 pixels high

That appears to be the requirement for wide images, but they probably meant to start that with “no more than 1920 pixels” like they do for the requirement for tall images below. By leaving out the “no more than” while capping the height to 1080 pixels, it’s impossible to have a wide image less than 1920 pixels wide. That would exclude every traditional photo aspect ratio! (3x2, 8x10, 4x5, 1x1…) So that requirement is confusing as written, and is probably not what they mean. I think they mean the width can be less than 1920 pixels as long as it is no longer than that.

@DS256 wrote:

OR 1080 pixels high and no more than 1920 pixels wide"

That totally makes sense for a tall image. It locks the height at 1080 px and lets the width be narrower than 1920 px, so that various tall aspect ratios are possible.

A 3:2 aspect ratio image fit to 1920 x 1080 pixels should be 1920 x 1280 pixels, and a tall version should be 1080 x 720 px. The short side will vary if the image was cropped to a different aspect ratio.

As to why the requirement is that wacky non-photographic 16:9 aspect ratio of 1920 x 1080 pixels? I’m guessing it’s because the club normally reviews images on a video projector or big TV, and those are commonly 16:9. They just want them to fit that without too many more pixels to slow down the slide show, and that’s OK.

But they might want to review that first requirement and make sure it is worded the way they really want, because right now it looks wrong as I pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the problem is that your starting and ending proportions are different.

4320 x 6480 has an aspect ratio of 1.5 (3 x 2), typical of digital camera sensors.

2550 x 3300 has an aspect ratio of abut 1.3.

If you simpky resize on export, it preserves the original proportions by default so you get 2200 x 3300, or 1.5 (3 x 2).

To fix this, add a step before exporting. Use the Crop tool set to a custom aspect ratio of 2550 x 3300 so that you can decide which parts of the ends to cut off, also enter 2550 x 3300 when you export, and it should work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad, it's Eddy98A1 who is having the issue of resizing for submission; not me.

I  simply used my experience as an example of how to export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you meant to reply to my other post, but your’re right, my post was meant for Eddy98A1. I hope Eddy98A1 uses my example to re-examine the submission requirements he’s looking at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

further to Conrad C's excellent answer, the concept that helped me to understand the resizing settings was:

These numbers do not directly control what your picture's resized TO. They control a "containing box", which each exported picture is then scaled down to fit INTO - and if the picture is ever squarer or skinnier shaped than this "box" is, then it can't completely fill that "box".

IOW, the resizing settings don't state what you will get. They state the upper limit on what you can get.

If you specify only one dimension, either the longer or the shorter side, then you can know this will be the governing dimension.

When you specify both width and height, then either one may become the governing dimension depending on the picture's shape vs the box's shape. Taking the simplest example of a square "box", the width of this will govern any landscape orientation photo, for a lower resulting height than the box's height. Conversely, the box's height will govern the sizing of any portrait orientation photo. And both will equally govern a square photo, which can completely fill a square "box".

If you wanted (say) to ensure that the Width was always used as the governing dimension, regardless of photo orientation - then you can set a very large value for the height. All images will in practice then hit the left and right sides of this imaginary, very tall and narrow "box" FIRST - and never approach its top and bottom limits. E.g. I could set 1800px wide x 20000px high, and always get that width, and never get that height.

Corollary: it doesn't have to be an aim, to crop every image to match the Export settings you use. A given image may be required to participate in many different sorts of export over time, each with different sizing requirements. For me the careful composition of an image is too important, to keep altering just for some momentary purpose. So the trick is IMO, to accept that some output requirements are primary, and others will correspondingly vary.

If one ever did want to crop images so as to FILL (rather than FIT) a particular output format exactly, the Print module can perform an additional "shape trim" on the fly - including, for JPG output - and thus not require any change to the normal compositional crop of the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using the newest version of Lightroom Classic on a Mac and I am trying to resize from 4320x6480 to 2550x3300... I have all the settings correct (I think) but my output is only 2200x3300 I have tried changing any setting available but it will not change the first size... HELP!

By @Eddy98A1

If this is for a submission, I think the 2550x3300 is the maximum allowed on height and width. As long as your export fits inside that box you are ok. There is no need to exactly meet the dimensions since that would distort your photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines