• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic running in background for hours, thrashing memory

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running normally for a few days on vacation Lightroom Classic is now running in background taking up about 227 mb of memory and hitting about 350 memory faults/second. It seems to be writing the NTFS volume log but doing little else. It's been running this way for more than a day. I've tried the recommendations to reset the priority but they don't get retained - after changing the priority to High it still restarts in Normal. How do I get control so I can use the program? 

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

No,. it contined to thrash endlessly. The catalog was on the cloud so I tried opening it with another PC -it got stuck opening the catalog and I couldn't get it to release it so that PC was unusable too. Reinstalling Lightroom and keeping the current settings didn't solve anything (they both kept trying to access the same catalog) so I had to reinstall without keeping the settings. That allowed me to open Lightroom normally after which I tried importing that catalog and got an error that it wasn

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you reboot your computer, can you then start LR and does it run normally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No,. it contined to thrash endlessly. The catalog was on the cloud so I tried opening it with another PC -it got stuck opening the catalog and I couldn't get it to release it so that PC was unusable too. Reinstalling Lightroom and keeping the current settings didn't solve anything (they both kept trying to access the same catalog) so I had to reinstall without keeping the settings. That allowed me to open Lightroom normally after which I tried importing that catalog and got an error that it wasn't a valid catalog. So I think the whole problem was that both computers were trying to open a corrupted catalog, got stuck doing it and didn't allow switching to a new catalog. Each would open the catalog that it had previously accessed and got stuck. The only way around it was to completely reinstall a new copy of Lightroom that didn't look for the corrupted catalog when it started. Pretty frustrating but it works now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it resolved. 

"The catalog was on the cloud"

Do you mean it was stored on a folder synced with Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar service?  (Knowing the details could help others in the future who come here with a similar problem.)

"The only way around it was to completely reinstall a new copy of Lightroom that didn't look for the corrupted catalog when it started."

If this problem happens again, there's an easier way that doesn't involve reinstalling: Hold down Opt (Mac) / Alt (Windows) and then click the LR icon to start it.  LR will then ask to open a different catalog or to create a new one:

johnrellis_0-1620313906476.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was in the "Creative Cloud" folder which I believe means that it's synched thru Lightroom. Re holding the Alt key - thanks for the tip. I tried Googling for how to open LR with a different catalog but couldn't find that answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"It was in the "Creative Cloud" folder"

Many people have reported here successfully using Dropbox and Google Drive to sync their catalogs between machines. But there are also a couple reports of suspected catalog corruption. Before opening the catalog on another machine, you need to wait for the most recent sync of the catalog folder to complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines