• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic: Set defaults for raw file import

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apply a Camera Matching color profile and preset for each camera when importing raw files 

Wouldn't it be nice if you could specify a different preset for each of your camera brands when you import raw files into Lightroom Classic? Or better yet, how about if we could differentiate one Canon camera from another (or two or more of any camera brand), and apply a different preset to each. Well, those options do exist today in Lightroom Classic.

New options in the preferences menu of Lightroom 9.2/Camera Raw 12.2 allow you to configure a variety of settings defining how to treat raw files upon import. You now have the option to set up a default or “master” preference that can be overridden by a camera specific preference if desired. If you have several of the same camera, then it can be further managed by camera serial number. These settings are applied when importing raw files into Lightroom Classic. Follow this tutorial to see how to set your defaults:

❶ Navigate to the preferences panel

To specify default settings for importing raw images, first navigate to the preferences panel:

Edit > Preferences (Win) or Lightroom Classic > Preferences (macOS)

Select the Presets tab from the Preferences dialog box to see the new Raw Defaults section

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 2.01.15 PM.png

❷ Master defaults

In the Master drop-down, you will see 3 options: Adobe Default, Camera Settings, and Preset.   

raw-defaults_master adobe default.png

Adobe Default: This option will apply Adobe default settings to your raw images. 

Camera Settings: If you want Lightroom Classic to select a Camera Matching color profile that corresponds to your in-camera style settings, then you should choose Camera Settings from the Master drop-down. This feature takes in to account the style of the photo (such as Canon Picture Style, Fujifilm Film Simulation, Nikon Picture Control, Olympus Picture Mode, Panasonic Photo Style, Sony Creative Style), and in some cases also settings from the Basic and Detail panels. Camera Settings will override the Adobe Default, but if any camera or setting is unrecognized, Lightroom will use a reasonable substitute instead.

Preset: This option allows you to choose a specific develop preset from your list to apply to all of your raw images as they are imported. 

Set defaults for specific camera models

If you use many different cameras, then you may want to process files from each camera differently. In this case, you might want to consider using the Use defaults specific to camera model option. This option appears as a checkbox under the Master settings.

camera-model_show serial.png

You can choose from the same 3 options just described: Adobe Default, Camera Settings, and Preset. The only difference here is that it is chosen on a per camera basis. When you choose Use defaults specific to camera model, the option settings will override the choices that were set above in Master. If you have more than one camera of the same make, you can click the option for Show serial number. This will give you the ability differentiate the cameras that are the same model and allow you to select defaults for each camera separately. For more details, please see: How to set-up raw defaults in Lightroom Classic

Please Note: 

Raw default settings made prior to version 9.2 will not be migrated when you update to Lightroom Classic 9.2. The settings for previously imported images will be retained but the default settings will be the Adobe defaults. If you wish to maintain your previous defaults, we recommend configuring new default settings after updating to Lightroom Classic 9.2.

Related topics:

How to set-up raw defaults in Lightroom Classic

Feature summary | Lightroom Classic (February 2020 release)

Get started with Lightroom Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the info in the screen capture which speaks to ISO specific "Default Presets".

I have noticed the changes being made over the past few years as to how Adobe has changed the default development of images at different ISO setting. In the past, I used the previous feature of creating individual ISO values but when I moved to the new model camera that I now use it did not see any necessity any for the new camera. I am pretty happy with what I am seeing and maybe you could give it a try. Just my opinion. I am specifically referring to the last sentence in the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 8.59.40 AM copy.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Denis,

thanks for the hint.

But as far as I understand the 'Evangelists' words, Julieanne referrs to the new ISO dependent xmp workflow (interpolating values) as opposed to the older method of defining a very specific default value for every single ISO.

She is not talking about any 'under the hood' changes that somehow would make ISO dependent defaults obsolete.

And even IF Adobe had some kind of magic to adjust the Noise reduction iso dependant but still keeping the sliders at the same values, that would be a terrible intransparent voodoo.

And Yes that was a tidious task, to create a testshot at every ISO and then define defaults based on that. It sucked basically. But I could easyly update my settings. And it was all transparent and clear.

Now I kinda wrapped my head around the NEW worflow and I must say, in the End its not all bad! I like the interpolation part where the actual values for , lets say luma noise, get interpolated between a set of min /max values. Thats neat.

But WHY is ther no way to save such an ISO dependant xmp file out of LR?? There is NO explanation given AT ALL! just 2 sample files to play around.  OK its not too hard but come on, at least make a full documentation of possible features if you want me to edit an xmp file anyways.

I want to be able to update and change my default values settings from WITHIN LR.

Dropping 2 files and good luck don't cut it.

You failled, Adobe. Again.

this is most likely my last year of subscription, C1 is gettin better with every dot release......

cheers

hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whats C1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C1 is a sloppy short for Capture One Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture one probably?

turns out that there are more options than I rember from past. But Im also too lazy to test them on real photo sets 😞

So I still hope that Adobe will fix this GUI ( add button that opens appropriate XMP in system default text editor and reload that XMP after save. The need for deleting profile and importing it from other folder after text editing is strange ( I managed to accidentally delete my edited XPM from ImportedSettings while finetuning it 😞     

Intepolation is nice thing but for me even the old method was ok. You know all the ISO photos can be taken while playing with new toy ( camera ) and testing all the cool features that is rarely toched second time ( wifi on Canons etc.. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hans3d, the only way you can get the old ISO Default Develop Settings to continuing to functioning is to revert to LR Classic 9.1 or earlier. There is also a possibility to edit the ISO depedant settings individually and create a new Preset which you can apply at import import in LR Classic 9.1.

If you then had 10 ISO dependent Presets for a Particular camera then you would have to apply the preset either at import or after import.

What Julieanne is referring to is Adobe is advising that is not necessary since they are already processing the raw files from your camera model dependent on the ISO setting.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'What Julieanne is referring to is Adobe is advising that is not necessary since they are already processing the raw files from your camera model dependent on the ISO setting.'

Thats where we differ:  for one I don't see J. Kost saying anything about Adobe applying any sort of different Settings at different ISO. All she says is that now (9.2) you dont have to specify a specific setting for each ISO since the new way can interpolate between a given Range. And thats cool.

And then I highly doubt that Adobe is doing anything different internally (without one or the other way of defining your own defaults) based on the ISO. I will give it a try, but I just dont think Adobe is secretly adjusting a noise or sharpening setting under the hood, but keeps the slider settings the same.

Best regards

hans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As hans3d wrote don't think that Adobe made any magic change under the hood affecting ISO noise performance see: https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/f9f3b84e-703a-47d5-5448-16c82734a099

Interesting part is that NR 30 darkens shadows..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import my raw files using camera image profiles as default (like Camera Portrait), Lightroom drops 1 full stop on the raw files compared to the file I see on the screen of my camera. I checked the histogram too and my camera shows about 1 stop brighter image. This is very annoying and causing extra work. What is the default setting then? I need to start to push all my raw files by 1 stop by default????? Does anyone know a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so frustrated - I cannot even find which version of LIghtroom I have. None of the tutorials match the screenshots of the instructions so I know I must have a different version. My preferences screen is stripped down and is not showing any of the choices showing in instructions. I am just wanting to import RAW files only and it seems to be impossible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2024 Mar 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like you are not using Lightroom Classic, but Lightroom. 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines