• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic slow to launch on Windows 10. Actually, "opens" twice.

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey everyone,

I haven't been using Lightroom for a while, just due to personal situation, but I am moving back in and I have never seen this. I open Lightroom, and I get the opening image for the software (I have 9.2 classic). The image goes away and I notice nothing seems "active". That is, I move my over the top menu options, and typically they highlight. In this situation, they don't. The software seems stuck. I then click on something, and the opening LR image comes back and I sit and wait for it to open.

As I said, I am using LR 9.2 classic, I have a Intel I9 processor, 16gb of ram, with a 2 TB hard drive. Window's 10. Everything is updated. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, at least 3 times. I am not using the graphics processor and I have a 50gb cache set up. 

This is what happens after it opens, and I click on something. I get the graphic (for the second time) and I wait. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

chrisb84386928_0-1586648619938.png

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Lightroom Classic while launching the application. 

How many images do you have in the current catalog which Lightroom launches with? Is the catalog or the images in the catalog stored on an external drive? You can create a new catalog and try launching Lightroom to check if that makes any difference in the time it takes to launch the app.

You can also try to reset the preferences of Lightroom Classic using the steps mentioned here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html#restore_preference...

Please back up your presets prior to resetting the preferences. 

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nikunj,

Thank you for the reply.

I basically have a clean install. I created one catalog with 7 images. Was starting fresh! So there is no resource issue that I can think of. Basically a new laptop with not a lot of other software hogging resources. Kept considering if it was my AntiVirus software, but nothing comes up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First up, please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic reports it.

In Lightroom Classic, click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste (do not attach) that into your reply. Info of interest is from first line down to and including plug-in info. Info after plug-0in info not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Thanks for the reply. Here is the info:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.18363
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 2.3 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 16142.7 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16142.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1339.0 MB (8.2%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1694.8 MB
GDI objects count: 603
USER objects count: 1912
Process handles count: 1981
Memory cache size: 89.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.2.1 [ 415 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 434MB / 8071MB (5%)
Camera Raw real memory: 435MB / 16142MB (2%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design (26.21.14.4274)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: C:\Lightroom Catalogs\General Home Stuff\General Home Stuff.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\tcwes\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) LogiOptions
5) Luminar 4
6) Luminar Flex
7) Nikon Tether Plugin
8) SmugMug

Config.lua flags: None

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de
Device : 1f91
Subsystem : 380217aa
Revision : a1
Video Memory : 3964
Adapter #2: Vendor : 8086
Device : 3e9b
Subsystem : 3f1617aa
Revision : 2
Video Memory : 80
Adapter #3: Vendor : 1414
Device : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Revision : 0
Video Memory : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Headphones (Realtek(R) Audio)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 48000
Build: Uninitialized
Direct2DEnabled: false

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have attached part of the Lightroom startup Prefs.

Its a long shot, but can you untick "Show Splash Screen during Startup"?LR startup.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tony,

Thanks for the reply,

Tried the splash screen with basically no luck. I get the image shown but both the left and right panels remain empty. I wait, and if I click my left mouse button, it kicks lightroom back on, and I wait 1:30, I get everything going.

chrisb84386928_1-1586994882293.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) LogiOptions
5) Luminar 4
6) Luminar Flex
7) Nikon Tether Plugin

That LogiOptions is a known buggy plug-in. It is not required to use the mouse or keyboard in a normal way. It exists to allow use of special buttons and/or dials to accomplish Lightroom actions (edits)

Recommend deactivating it in the Plug-in manager, see if that helps, remember to close then restart lightroom.

Note, updates to your Logitech mouse and/or keyboard drivers, and the separate LogiOptions utility software, may alter the plug-in manager setting, not supposed to do do, but keep an eye out for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design (26.21.14.4274)

So v442.74 for your GPU driver, not so far out of date, I think current would be v445.87 (out today)

You should have an NVIDIA utility called GeForce Experience, use it to check for and update your GPU driver. When you do, select Custom, as to accomplish a clean install. Sometimes old crap is left behind that may hose a program like Lightroom Classic.

I suspect this will not have an affect on starting LRC, but maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Disabled the Logitech plug in. Did the same for the others that I won't use. Since I did that, I have restarted Lightroom 4 times. Averaging 20 seconds to get to editing mode! I even turned off the PC and restarted. Same thing. Much better than before. 

I really appreciate the input. I did update my driver tonight as well. Kinda nerdy about keeping my drivers up to speed!

I will get back into editing mode with less frustration, thanks to you!

Kind Regards,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you have an NVIDIA GPU see:

https://www.winhelp.info/boost-lightroom-performance-on-systems-with-nvidia-graphics-chip.html

This can improve general performance, and it can affect how LRC treats the GPU should you be selecting to use GPU in /preferences/performance/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

David,

GPU adjustments cut roughly 5 seconds off the startup speed. Now down to 15 seconds. So once again, I am in your debt! Appreciate that. I will NOT however, be adjusting my resolutions ;-). 

unless I absolutely have to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 3840x2160

So, 4K, you will not like this, money spent on 4K, and not an issue in PS. Consider reducing the resolution. This would effect the Develop module, especially as you use adjustment filters.

In thee Develop module, each time you make an edit, the entire collection of pixels that get displayed must be recreated, and LRC walks thru each and every step you previously took to build that up, more edits, more time to work thru edits, more time to show you the resultant display. Due to LRC being a non destructive editor.

If you are happy with performance in develop module, then not an issue, and you would probably want to select use GPU in preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have just the one hard drive?

Lightroom performance issues to consider

Place Catalog on your fastest hard drive.

Hard drive catalog is in need of least 25% free space (including catalog)

Camera RAW CACHE can take advantage of hard drive speed.

If at all possible, do not place Camera RAW CACHE on same drive as Windows OS Paging file (normally C) as they will compete with read/writes

Photos can be on any drive. Location strategy can sometimes be dictated by hard drive space.

Library previews, including Smart previews if used must be in same place as catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Right now I am working strictly off my SSD on my laptop. Photos, Catalog and cache are all located there. I think I am working optimally, with respect to that. I do, however, have all my other photos on a Lacie external USB-C drive. I also have been considering moving to a smaller 1GB SSD external. But with my new laptop, I am starting out small. I still have my old catalogs on my externals, but haven't even brought those into play yet! Been fighting this issue. And your advice helped. I am now attempting to see if your video recommendations help. I know I am at 20 seconds, before I can get going. So onward and upward with my testing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines