• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic spinning ball on start

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have have Lightroom Classic (The screen at startup says Lightroom 6, version 7.3.1) installed on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), running MacOS10.15.3.

for various reasons I have not used Lightroom for several years.

Now when I try to start the app I get the startup screen (see attached photo)Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 19.10.31.png and the spinning ball.

I still have an older version of Lightroom on my machine (v6.14), so I'm able to work, but I would like to use the later version, as it has fetures not available in v6.14.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That mention ov v7.3.1 may be an oddity that occured in some MACOS way back, and may be lingering.

Now as for LR 6, v6.14 was the last version.

A couple of things to check

1. Do you perhaps have a lock file that did not get deleated upon proper closure if LR?

see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-error-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.htm...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second issue, App rights to Files and Folders in MACOS Catalina.

Outside of LR, on your MAC, in the MACOS, bring up System Preferences, select Security and Privacy, select the Privacy tab, scroll down to Files and Folders, make sure Lightroom has access to all the drives listed.

Scroll up to Photos, assuming you store photos in the MACOS folder Photos, make sure LR can access that folder.

https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free/folders-permission

3F74CD69-CFC7-46EB-8840-C9BD64218EE7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a corrupt version of Lr6 that should not have allowed you to upgrade to v7!

I am surprised that it worked at all!

Only the current Subscription version of Lightroom-Classic 9.2 is compatible with Mac Catalina OS.

You will need a subscription to the Photography 20 Gb Plan to run Lightroom-Classic.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom-classic.html

This is how the upgrade 'bug'  appeared in 2018- 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/cant-apply-presets/m-p/9963990#M113428

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the feedback, and the links. I decided to stay with a Classic because, at least originally, there was no monthly subscriptions: you just bought the software and occasional upgrades, which I’ve done for years. Now I see I need a subscription for Classic! Not happy. My time with Lightroom has come to an end. I’ll find other software that doesn’t tie me to a subscription. At least the current lockdown situation gives me the time to research other solutions, and clime a new learning curve!

Best Regards
Keith Hill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines