• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic - Spinning beachball at every startup - just started. Why?

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is related to the 10.1 upgrade:

LR Classic has always started quickly on my machine. Now it starts up and right after the Credits screen appears, I get a 30-60 second pause with the spinning beachball. After that, it seems to function well.

Tried optimizing the current catalog (about 60,000 images) without benefit.  Exiting and restarting repeats the process but maybe with a few less seconds of the beachball.

Not sure what to do next.  Ideas?

iMac 27"  Catalina 10.15.7  32GB memory 1TB SSD

catalog on an external USB 3.1 HDD  (same as always)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing.  Disabling Graphics Processor didn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I see this too and have already reported it to Adobe and sent some special logs. They are looking into it and hopefully will fix this in a next update.

P.S. Do not attach screenshots to messages, please. Embed them so that people do not have to download them in order to see them. Use this button:

Embed screenshot.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't upgrade to Big Sur.  It gets much worse.  Hopefully Adobe will come thropugh with a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snsok, do you have a custom display profile assigned to the display by a calibrator?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis  Yes, I have my iMac screen and a second monitor both calibrated with a Datacolor Spyder.  That profile was in use before this happened. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some possibilities:

- I and others have observed intermittent, minute-long delays on startup with several Creative Cloud apps (LR, PS, Premiere). You might try disconnecting the computer from the network and see if the delay goes away (which would point the finger at CC licensing checks).

- Do File > Plug-in Manager and see if Logitech's horrible Logioptions plugin got secretely installed on your computer by Logitech utilities.  If so, select Logioptions and in the Status panel on the right, click Disable.

- Try temporarily setting the display profile to sRGB:

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If that fixes the problem, you may be tripping over the Mac performance issues with custom display profiles:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-... 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, I would ask that you use the insert photo button instead of attaching your screen shot, as many members do not trust attachments.

But I just had to look, and I will be more helpfull.

I see in your screen shot that LrC is loading/reading the preference file. Normally that probably goes so fast that we do not notice that. Implication is that LrC is having an issue with the preference file.

Have you considered resetting the preference file. This is Adobe speak for deleting the file and allowing LrC to recreate it from scratch. The preference file can get corrupted leading to buggy behavior. A corrupt preference file will survive updates, upgrades, re-installs. Some settings  may revert to defaults as a side effect (just to be aware)

see: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. could you post that screen shot for other members

Please_Use_This_Button_to_insert_Images.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to get Grid View to appear before the spinning beachball, but it still appears.

• deleted Lightroom preferences as per @GoldingD 
  • Removed all display profiles and just did the quick calibration is Settings > Display as per @johnrellis 
  • No installation of Logitech plug-ins.  I had a couple of old ones that I removed or disabled
  • Tried starting LR with no internet connection--no difference except got to grid view before beachballing

Screen shot inserted as per @GoldingD 

Open to any other suggestions

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 08.46.34.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been numerous reports of problems with LR 10 and Macs, and yours doesn't fit into any of the known buckets. I suggest you post a bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum, where Adobe wants all bug reports and feature suggestions: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Be sure to include the first ten lines of the menu command Help > System Info.  Provide all the details, rather than linking back to this thread -- experience shows that Adobe developers tend not to follow the links.

You could roll back to LR 9.4, but if you've done lots of work in LR 10, that could be very painful, since LR 9 won't open LR 10 catalogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring up your copy of Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App, sign out, then sign in, watch for any errors/notices. See if LrC starts.

this from:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-not-launching-after-splash-screen.html

and perhaps solution 2 in that link.w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@GoldingD  signed out and back into Cr Cloud app: no difference

renamed SLCache and SLStore: no difference.

I'll post as a bug report per link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines