• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Sync wrong photo count?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just purchased the latest Lightroom Classic and Lightroom. I previously had Lightroom Cassic 6, but I wanted to have all my photos online.

I imported my Lightroom 6 catalogue into Lightroom to get all photos on the web. I then logged into Lightroom Mobile and synced my camera roll on my iPhone. SO now all my photos are in the cloud.

When that was complete, I uninstalled Lightroom Classic 6 and then installed Lightroom Classic (the latest version). I then turned on Sync to get all my photos back in Lightroom Classic. Now I have Lightroom and Lightroom Classic on a laptop and Lightroom Mobile on my iPhone.

Problem: I can't reconcile the different number of photos shown in Lightroom Classic to Lightroom. I am worried some photos are missing or there are errors or virtual copies are counted differently of some file types do not sync or the is an error.

On the web I get 72,274 photos

matthewm24721058_1-1590985622599.png

On Lightroom on my laptop I get 72.724 photos:

matthewm24721058_2-1590985641658.png

In Lightroom Mobile I get 68,883 photos:

matthewm24721058_3-1590985745972.png

In Lightroom Classic I get two different numbers (72,167 as "All Photos" and 69,106 as "All Synced Photos")

matthewm24721058_5-1590985918796.png

I have not imported an photos into Lightroom Classic other than via Sync to Lightroom.

I do not have any Sync errors, Sync is not paused on any device, Sync is complete on each device.

I am on Windows 10.

Can anyone help me to figure out why there would be a difference? I have done a lot of research via Google, so help is very much appreciated.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to using all 3 different LR versions.

LR Classic, Lightroom Cloud Storage for the desktop computer and LR Mobile on your Mobile Device.

Therein lies the problem, IMHO.

And it seems you are trying to syncing a very large amount of images across all 3 versions.

I susgest you Pick One version of LR to use on your desktop (Notebook) computers and get rid of the other version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I would concur with the advice of JustShootMe and simplify your software set to Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC.

Perhaps you could let us know if that suits and provides any improvement if you decide to make any changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Thanks, but your responses don't try to help, instead you are saying it is just too hard to solve. 

You want me to simplify my setup? It is already very simple.

I have 2 devices synced to Lightroom Web and they show a different number of total photos. Is this not the whole basis of Adobe's offering? Should I just accept that it does not work and keep paying?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what exact LR subscription plan do you pay for and how much cloud storage space does it included and how much have you used up trying to sync 69+ or 72+ THOUSAND images with?

Could be simply you have used up all the allotted space available to you and that is one reason (if not the only reason) you are getting conflicting image count numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here we are nearly a year later and still this isn't solved. I have a very similar problem. The airy "don't use such a complicated setup" is no advice. I wish to use Lightroom on my phone so that I capture photos directly into it. I am forced to use Lr on my desktop for import to ensure master images are held in the cloud. I am similarly forced to use LrC on my desktop to use some editing features and Map functionality. The Lightroom on the web is merely an interface into what is actually stored in the cloud. I pay £20 (~$28) per month for the privilege of 1TB storage in the Photograph plan which proudly announces "Photoshop on desktop on iPad, Lightroom on desktop and mobile, and Lightroom Classic." So don't please tell me the solution is not to use all of the functionality claimed in the advertising

Lr on the web, desktop and phone all report the same numbers everywhere. LrC is a complete mess. One collection shows more images than exist in the entire catalog (interesting) and the number shown in the side bar is different from the number shown in the grid view for some collections. There are also 8 images that fail to download from the cloud despite LrC proclaiming happily that all is in sync.

I raised this with support, expecting some detailed help in the structure of the catlog. So far with 4 x 1hr calls (mostly repeating the story, being told there is no problem, and then accepting there is, with an agent who is clearly busy with multiple calls at the same time) they have taken me through steps I could have done myself (Reset Sync, deleting ...sync.lrdata file, reimporting the whole catlog into a new one -  for example). All this has done so far is take days and days of syncing and only succeeded in creating multiple copies of the same files (which take up a lot of local disk space and will take some time to sort out) and reproducing the same problems. I am glad I am on unlimited 200Mbpps internet connection.

This is really not good enough. This is far from an isolated example. Come on Adobe - we pay you enough. Either sort out sync, or partner with someone like DropBox who know how to do it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone around the bend. The sync function just does not work as would be expected by me. I can already hear Adobe's reply - the software is doing what it is programmed to do.

This is not a matter of technology failure, rather this is a matter of customer service failure.

I have so many photos it is just too hard to change platform and Adobe is taking advantage of that as I have to accept the very bad cloud sync function and make my work around. I literally had to manually check photo by photo across each platform to figure out which files did not sync. I then manually uploaded them to the web version, and then they appeared to sync.

The reconciliation of photo file and different video file types was horrendous as the count of photos on one version of the app would count some video types and other versions would not.

I got there in the end but it was so much time wasted. 

Once I manually did all the syncing myself using lightroom on all platforms is great. The trick for me is to keep a close eye on the syncing of all new photos. Its a pain.

I have now come across a new problem. Lightroom mobile is stuck uploading photos (about 3000) are pending. I am going to contact support as I have googled extensively but I don't hold out much hope. I think I will have to manually reconcile photos again......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another year passes with no resolution to the sync count software defect.

My counts do not match, but the error is in the opposite direction from MFG1977's -

• I have more images in the Cloud than in my Lightroom Classic Collections flagged to be synced to the Cloud.  
  • My LR Classic "All Synced Photographs" count is several thousand images greater than the count of images in Collections flagged to be synced.
  • My LR Classic "All Synced Photographs" count is 196 photographs less than the count of images in the Cloud.

As MFG1977 suggested, the only way I know to figure out what is going on is to do a detailed reconciliation and identify the missing photographs at both levels (internally within LR Classic and between LR Classic and the Cloud).  What a pain that is going to be!

Bill Cobb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This might be the result of having Virtual Copies. For whatever stupid reason, Classic counts VCs as actual files and i don't think there's a way to disable it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines