• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom classic update changed all my folder names

Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Lightroom classic ( 20th April 2020) changed my folder names to Months and Years. I have to open the folder to see what is inside and anything taken in that month is in the folder regadless of topic and under what folder name it was before. What might have happened , How can I get it back or will have to restucture everything from with in Lightroom. That would be a time consuming nightmare. If I would now how to delete the stucture in Lightroom, it would be easier to reimport everything. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Margret  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

"The latest Lightroom classic ( 20th April 2020) changed my folder names to Months and Years."

Lightroom Classic does not do this on its own. It will not change existing folder names except if YOU specifically tell it to do so. It almost sounds like you imported the photos into the catalog, and Lightroom Classic used the default import option to copy the photos into folders named by capture date.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

There is a bug in Lightroom that sometimes causes the appearance of duplicate or "ghost" folders in the folder panel. I think you will have to do a search to learn the solution, as I do not know it.

"I must say that I don't like the way Lightroom handles folders."

My recommendation is to stop using the Folder Panel. I never use it. I use default folder names, such as capture date, and I never add descriptive information to folder names. The descriptive information can go in many different place

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Thanks dj_paige for your help and advice. I will consider changing the way I lable the folders. Thoug not sure if capture dates allone would work for me. I fully agree with your statement "I must say that I don't like the way Lightroom handles folders." I don't know why they have not found a better way. They should learn from their competition :-). 

Anyway, thank you for having taking the time responding to my call for help. Take care and stay Safe!

Cheeers Margret 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The latest Lightroom classic ( 20th April 2020) changed my folder names to Months and Years."

Lightroom Classic does not do this on its own. It will not change existing folder names except if YOU specifically tell it to do so. It almost sounds like you imported the photos into the catalog, and Lightroom Classic used the default import option to copy the photos into folders named by capture date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This folders have been in light room for at least a couple of months. I editied photos in those folders. If you think that what I did, would you not expect that I would have noticed it straight away and not after I have worked on photo in the various folders? have you got any suggestions how I can fix it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is what Lightroom Classic does by itself, and what you are describing is not something Lightroom Classic simply chooses to do on its own.

To fix the problem, I would like to see a screen shot of the Folder Panel in Lightroom as it exists. I would also like to see a screen shot of the folders in your operating system view (Windows Explorer or Mac Finder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom FolderLightroom Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj-paise, I am not sure what happened  but when I opened Lightroom today, all the folders had their names again. But Maybe you still can help with soemthing I obviously stuffed up but don't know how. You see the folders with the green line next to it . I imported the folder with its subfolders and I marked that I wanted the subfolders included. However, all photos are in one and the same folder instead, and no subfolders. But as you can see, I have 5 times the same photos under differnt names . Only the first and the second name are correct, the ohter names are not correct. Can I just delete the 5 folders and keep the first one?  I might leave it in one folder or set the others up within Lightroom. 

Similar with the redline folders?  What am I doing wrong?  Can I delete the duplicates? I have had no problems with subfolders before. 

I have deleted the folders with the ? and 0 photos without any problems. 

I hope I made sense . Your help is most appreciated.

I must say that I don't like the way Lightroom handles folders. I have the editing software ON1Raw and find it a lot simpler,. As the software picks the file from the hardrive or where ever your photo is stored, If you move photos around, delete them or rename them  it makes no differnce. One can set up a catalouge as in Lightroom but why would one? Thanks M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a bug in Lightroom that sometimes causes the appearance of duplicate or "ghost" folders in the folder panel. I think you will have to do a search to learn the solution, as I do not know it.

"I must say that I don't like the way Lightroom handles folders."

My recommendation is to stop using the Folder Panel. I never use it. I use default folder names, such as capture date, and I never add descriptive information to folder names. The descriptive information can go in many different places in Lightroom, such as keywords or captions or titles. Generally, the bug mentioned above happens when descriptive names are used as folders; it has never happened to me, and I assume that is because I never use descriptive folder names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks dj_paige for your help and advice. I will consider changing the way I lable the folders. Thoug not sure if capture dates allone would work for me. I fully agree with your statement "I must say that I don't like the way Lightroom handles folders." I don't know why they have not found a better way. They should learn from their competition :-). 

Anyway, thank you for having taking the time responding to my call for help. Take care and stay Safe!

Cheeers Margret 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines