• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Update

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a recent update available for Lightroom, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. Sky Replacement was part of the update for Photoshop only. This is a nice addition for the program but there are hardly any skies to choose from. I thought Adobe would at least offer as many different choices as Luminar does, even more so. I also thought I read somewhere that Lightroom Classic was also to be updated with Sky Replacement. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sky replacement is not a part of Lightroom Classic 10.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting me know. Although I must say that I don't understand why Adobe doesn't make this feature available across all of their editing programs. Perhaps in the future they will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely because you need a pixel editor to replace a sky. That's Photoshop, not Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize that. Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sky Replacement in Photoshop is basically a sophisticated script that creates layers and masks. Lightroom does not support layers, which explains why it could not be added to Lightroom. You can add your own skies by the way.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I'm not understanding something. You said that LrC does not support layers? I thought creating layers are a huge part of the editing process in all three of the programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You thought wrong, it's not. Only Photoshop can use layers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has layers and blending modes. Lightroom has never had those.

Lightroom handles layered Photoshop files in a unique way.

See https://lightroomkillertips.com/lightroom-handles-layered-photoshop-files/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a parametric, none destructive editor for raw files.

Raw files are dark greyscale files, and need to be rendered into (new) RGB files to produce a useful image.

So the images you see on screen in Lightroom are previews of what a rendered file will look like.

The edits are written as text to the catalog, and are applied to a new RGB file, derived from the raw file, when you export or print. The raw files themselves remain untouched, no pixels are changed.

Lightroom is built around the Camera Raw engine, which is also a plugin for Photoshop for editing raw files.

Photoshop itself cannot edit raw files, it's a pixel editor that permanently changes the pixels in the image.

Masks and layers require the pixels to be permanently changed, which is something Lightroom cannot do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the good information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom editing functions are simply and alternative to what the Adobe Camera Raw plugin function provides for Photoshop.

So Lightroom's editing (develop module) functions are focused primarily on rendering raw digital files from cameras and enable you to create a rendered image in jpeg, tiff, etc format for sharing, printing or forwarding to Photoshop or similar editing applications to apply features not available in Lightroom.

Photoshop provides far more advanced editing functions that are needed by Graphic Artists who require surreal designs and manipulation of the image far beyond "photographic reality".

Lightroom offers more sofiscated file management, sharing, printing options.

Just some thoughts.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines