Highlighted

Lightroom classic versus CC storage

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help.?  I have had LR CC for nearly a year and today changed to a different package to include LR Classic and PS. I need LR Classic for a course. Because my images are stored on my laptop, my hard drive is full and I can't even download th new apps let alone process new images. I have obviously done something wrong. I have back ups of all the images I need. On an external hard drive. How can I get rid of all the images  in the LR  library to free up some space. Do I have to delete them all manually?

thanks.

Topics

Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Lightroom classic versus CC storage

New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help.?  I have had LR CC for nearly a year and today changed to a different package to include LR Classic and PS. I need LR Classic for a course. Because my images are stored on my laptop, my hard drive is full and I can't even download th new apps let alone process new images. I have obviously done something wrong. I have back ups of all the images I need. On an external hard drive. How can I get rid of all the images  in the LR  library to free up some space. Do I have to delete them all manually?

thanks.

Topics

Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you delete the images then Lightroom will inform you that they are missing and won't allow you to edit them. You could move the entire photo collection to an external hard drive and update the folder location to that external hard drive, and then remove all of the photos from the laptop. There wouldn't be any performance hit. That would be the way I would recommend you go if you want to stay with Lightroom Classic. The alternative would be to switch to Lightroom (which some users refer to as Lightroom CC) and migrate your Entire library to the cloud. One plan gives you 20 GB of cloud storage, the other plan gives you 1 TB. You need to have a very good and fast Internet connection for it to work efficiently. Lightroom doesn't have all the features that Lightroom Classic has, and file organization is a little bit different.

If you're comfortable using Lightroom Classic I would recommend adding another external hard drive as the main drive to hold your images. Then you could have another external hard drive that you use to store your catalog backups. But the choice is yours, of course.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim
Thank you for your reply
I have currently been with LIghtroom CC and am used to that. My images are stored on my hard drive and I contacted Adobe who said that’s where they are stored. They take up over 60GB . I understood they would be in Creative Cloud.

I was recommended to use Lightroom Classic, more features and compatible with the course I’m doing, so changed my subscription, to LR Classic including Photoshop only to find that my hard drive is full. However, all my images are backed up in my external drive.
I have tried to phone Adobe but the Phone numbers don’t seem to work.
I did wonder whether to delete Lightroom cc for the moment and Reinstall it later when I sort things out with storage on my hard drive. I need the storage today, as it were.
However, I’m not sure how to delete LR CC or the Library and have found the chat facility on Adobe frustrating.

Janet

Sent from my iPad

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Adobe FAQ should give you a better understanding of sync behaviour, etc in Lightroom Classic https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/sync-faq.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your primary issue here summarised in your question:

How can I get rid of all the images  in the LR  library to free up some space?

Dependent on the number of images I would:

1. Move your image files to an external drive and then relink your catalog to them.
  2. Consider the size of your Preview files

Preview size.png

Are you making Smart Preview in your work flow?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines